Ultra Violet

Today I had been called up to the bridge to assist Mr. Spock as we looked for what had killed off several planets. There was not a whole lot I could suggest with just star charts so I sat in silent observation. "Evaluation Mr. Spock." Kirk came walking over to where McCoy, Spock and I were standing.

I really didn't understand why I was here. They had left me in my lab for the past month and a half, now this. "As I speculated, Captain. The overall pattern of mass insanity destroying civilians follows an almost straight line through this section of the galaxy."

I hummed moving to the star charts. "Over here the ancient Beta Portalon system the ancient civilizations. I've examined the fragments as best I could and have determined them to be the beginning. This was followed by Livinius five some two hundred years ago. Then Seta Thigni twelve, and lastly Ingraham B two years ago. Based off of these we can estimate Deniva would be next to follow this strange event."

I turned back to the Captain. "Bones, (Y/n), do you have a theory... about the cause of this?"

I shook my head and shrugged. The ruins didn't give me any information and even after examining the bodies I had come up empty. "Not enough data. We either make it to the Colony in time for me to take a look, or we miss the event entirely. Hopefully the latter."

McCoy looked to me for a second. "No medical or scientific cause for what happened on those planets, Jim."

This wasn't satisfactory. "But it follows a definite pattern, a systematic progression from planet to planet." Then something odd began to happen. Sulu picked up a ship on the sensors heading right into the Denovin sun. It was bound to burn up. My brow furrowed as Kirk had Sulu plot an interception course. The only thing I could do was watch.

Noting that the Denivon must have already been struck by the madness, his ship's course plotted directly for the sun. It was not out of control, so... it had been done on purpose. I watched the Kirk hail the ship, asking if they could reverse course. Both of our ships were getting far too close to the sun. Hull temperature having reached over one thousand degrees.

The answer we received... left me confused. "I did it. It's finally gone. I'm free. I'm-" static. The ship was done, there was nothing left to save. It had already made its way to Deniva. I stared at the screen as Kirk ordered the full one eighty return to our original course. Our hull temperature was beginning to return to normal, but that wasn't what had my attention. I was more focused on what would possess someone to fly into the sun.

My hands folded in front of me as I ran through what had occurred and what had been said. "That Denevan ship headed deliberately into the sun. Why?" Kirk spoke as he stood just below McCoy.

McCoy had his hands behind his back. "There's one possobility. Mass insanity may have already reached this planet, too." I nodded in agreement, adjusting my newly issued dress. This one was For the most part still blue as it was my main job. The sleeves on the other hand, had Yellow and Red stripes running around the cuffs. The collar and belt were also Red, and it was slightly longer than the usual uniform. Uhura mentioned that she was still having trouble with the transmitter call to Deneva but was asked to keep trying. "Jim, your brother Sam and his family, aren't they stationed on this planet?"

To this I straightened up a little further. I wasn't even aware he had a brother, but it didn't surprise me. There were a lot of things I didn't know. If it were true... then I would just have to work harder to defeat this madness. Time passed further and I went over readings with Spock. Scotty eventually making his way over to us. "Planet development is normal, Captain. Originally colonized as a freighting line base in this area."

I found this a good time to leave. "Aye, they make regular trips from here, carrying supplies to the asteroid belt for the miners and bringing cargo out. I've made the round a couple of times myself as an engineering advisor."