Old Fears Resurface

Current Stardate is 3478.2 and there had been a routine mission to resupply the experimental colony on Gamma Hydra four. When the away team came back there was a problem, an unusual phenomenon where the colonists aged rapidly and died at a young age. Only two of the six colonists remained when they came back.

When I heard about it, I started gathering sensor data and blood samples to test in my lab. Before that, Kirk called me to the briefing room where I took a seat close to the other end of the table. "Stay seated." There was a new man and woman aboard that we were transporting to Starbase ten. "Dr. Wallace, as an expert in endocrinology, I'd appreciate you working very closely with Dr. McCoy. I would have you work with (Y/n), but I suspect you are going to be working in your lab, correct?"

I gave a small nod. "Yes Captain, I do have the proper equipment as well as better equipment than what I would find in the bio-lab or Sickbay." Kirk nodded. "I've already had nurse Nevins send samples to my lab as well as the bridge with the atmospheric and radiation readings. I should have a report ready for you by tomorrow."

With that Kirk turned to McCoy asking for him to fill us in. "Well, the expedition is suffering from extreme old age, and they're growing older by the minute-- much older. My examinations have turned up absolutely nothing. In fact, I don't have a clue."

Folding my hands I set them on the table, whatever was going on needed to be resolved quickly, and if timed well enough a cure need be created. "What about the atmosphere and environment, Mr. Spock? I know (Y/n) asked for a report but hers will have much more detail than what we will be going over I assume."

Spock nodded, his eyes glanced to me briefly. I ignored it, ever since what happened between us I have been avoiding him like the plague. "Correct, but from what I can see, sensors reveal nothing which is inimical to human life. The atmosphere screens out the usual amount of harmful cosmic rays."

Kirk tried a different approach. "We're close to the Neutral Zone between our Federation and the Romulan Empire. It's possible the Romulans have a new weapon and are using this colony as guinea pigs."

I found such a suggestion highly unlikely. "I have already begun investigation into that possibility, Captain. Though, I do believe (Y/n) doesn't agree with the weapon theory." I gave a small shrug, not that it really mattered what I believed. What mattered right now was what we could do to stop the progression of age.

Kirk seemed satisfied with everything we were doing. "Good. I want you all to check out everything in your own departments... (Y/n), this case will top every other case you currently have until it is solved. Is that clear?" I gave an immediate yes, sir. "Allright. No matter how remote, how far-fetched the notion, I want it run down. We'll stay in orbit until we have the answer. Thank you."

With that we were dismissed and I was the first one out of the room. While I was testing the blood samples for toxins I was going to go over the sensor reports. Those would take me some time. From what I could already see Gamma Hydra four is just your round about conventional class M planet. One that consisted of an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, with a normal mass for a planet of this size.

There was a report in the astrophysics lab that held a comet in it. It was a rouge comet, but there wasn't much more information beyond that. All of this was standard fair and nothing important that Spock wouldn't have already spoken to the Captain about. By the end of the first day I had nothing to report and so I headed directly to Kirk's quarters.

Pressing the button I waited. "Come." The doors slid open as Kirk stood by his dresser in just his pants. I cleared my throat and looked to one of the walls. "Oh, (Y/n)... sorry, I wasn't expecting you. How can I help?"

My mouth felt a little dry but I spoke anyway. "Captain, I have my report. I just needed you to sign off on it. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary and until I get a full report on the comet and radiation levels there isn't much more I can do." I felt him take the report from my hands and start to scribble on it.