Galaxy Trouble

I needed to find a better time to speak with Spock about what Kirk and I spoke of the other day, but as of right now, we were both swamped with our duties. Of course, my duty comes first. It always has, and probably always will. Yet even as I looked over the bacterium in the dish, I tried to think about ways to approach him in a way that I understood.

As I needed the time to think, I locked my lab door so that no one would disturb me. If I could get my work done quickly enough, I would have time to figure out my wording. Scratching my neck I looked at the slide. Trying to figure out what was wrong with it, compared to the check two days ago. "It shouldn't have this kind of result... and in two days, for such a rapid changer to occur, I must have made a mistake somewhere." Sighing I knew I would have to redo my entire experiment.

Taking the slide from the microscope I discarded it into the biohazard disposal bag. The dish I placed back into the cooler. Clicking my tongue I walked over to the cage and put a glove on. Pulling the lid from a slug container I placed my arm in the tank to pull the slug out. About a week ago I found a strange slime coating his body that hadn't been there the week prior.

As I had been trying to determine what kind of slime coated his body I had noted the change and was trying to see if it was harmful or useful. So far, my tests had been inconclusive, or ended in failure. Granted this was a rather large slug, running the length of my hand and almost the same width. So maybe it had something to do with their life cycle.

After getting my new sample I placed him back in the tank and replaced the lid. Setting everything up once again to start from scratch I restarted my experiment. "Lunch time, I didn't mean to take so long. I'd better hurry to the lounge, I have specks to go over with Scotty about upgrades to our propulsion unit. The only time he was free was this afternoon." Setting the dish in the cooler I walked out into the hall.

It was strange walking down barren halls. Usually I would pass people going about their business, but there wasn't anyone else here. Some halls had PADD's and these strange hexagonal shapes, and others were completely empty. Unsure of what was going on I hurried to the lounge. Someone had to be in there. "Is this all?" The door opened letting me hear the Captain's voice.

Needless to say I felt a bit of relief seeing Scotty, McCoy, Kirk and Spock sitting at a table, but their expressions only made me wonder what was going on even more. "I have reviewed ship's personnel, Captain. It appears we four are the only ones the Kelvans consider... essential."

My brows knitted together. "What is going on here, and who are these Kelvan? I am in my lab for three hours and come out to speak with Mr. Scott about our usual upgrades only to find a barren ship aside from you four." Every head in the room turned to me as I stood in the doorway.

Scotty, McCoy, and the Captain looked relieved to see me. Spock raised a brow and stood from his seat. "(Y/n)!?" They all said, a bit loudly for my liking. "How in the blazes do you not know what's been going on. Everyone on the ship's been turned into those strange objects. How did you manage to escape?" McCoy was the first to start questioning me.

I just rubbed my neck. "Honestly, I was just in my lab like usual. I locked the doors because I didn't want to be disturbed. I honestly just came out to speak with Mr. Scott about upgrades to the propulsion unit. We were supposed to go over the blueprints at noon. I'm just running a little late because I needed to redo an experiment."

Kirk nodded motioning for me to take a seat. I did so, listening to their explanation of everything that had occurred while I was preoccupied. "Scotty tells me that you could have destroyed the ship in the barrier. Why didn't you."

That answer was simple. "He couldn't, doctor. If I know my captain as well as I think I do, then he wouldn't have thought it was the only way to stop them. I imagine there is another way, but I do not yet know what it is." McCoy wanted to argue further as always.