Tribble of a Mess

Space Station K7, a place for shore leave and rest. Not a place I would normally find myself, especially after the month I've had. Yet, given the circumstances, I was ready for a break. All of my animals and plants were cared for, so it left one thing to be done. Assisting Kirk and Spock in teaching Chekov about history.

It would prove interesting in the very least. As I took a seat, I mulled over what was to be done should Chekov have issues. "Space Station K-7 now within range, Captain." Spock took his seat to our captains left, I was seated to the right and Chekov across from us.

Kirk leaned back in his chair. "Good. Mr. Chekov, this flight is supposed to provide both experience and knowledge. How close will we come to the nearest Klingon outpost if we continue on our present course?"

Easy enough to say that Chekov was very confident. "Ah. One parsec, sir. Close enough to smell them."

Spock of course disagreed. "That is illogical, Ensign. Odors cannot travel through the vacuum of space."

Chekov seemed slightly disappointed and put off by Spock's reply. "I was making a little joke, sir."

Clearing my throat before this could go any further between either of them I spoke. "Mr. Spock, while we understand that jokes escape our logical minds.... Both Kirk and Chekov understand and enjoy these trivial matters. Instead we should focus on the questions. Such as the immediate past history of this particular quadrant."

Quick with his reply Spock spoke. "It is under dispute between the two parties since initial contact. The battle of Donatu V was fought near here twenty-three solar years ago. Inconclusive."

Kirk was aiming the next question at me. Asking for an analysis on the disputed area. "As of yet, undeveloped. Sherman's planet is claimed by both sides: the Federation and the Klingon Empire. We currently have the better claim."

Pointing his fingers, Chekov continued. "The area was first mapped by the famous Russian astronomer Ivan Berghoff almost Two hun-"

I cut him off with a correction. "John Burke, actually." He looked a tad confused. Spock backed me up instead. "John Berke was the chief astronomer at the Royal academy in Old Britain." This detail did not dispel any better judgement for Chekov.

Kirk continued. "Is the rest of your history that faulty, Ensign? Key points of dispute?" The rest of his history was not. Explaining the treaty perfectly. "And unfortunately, though the Klingons are brutal and aggressive, they are most efficient."

Chekov was ready for that. "I remember, once, Peter the Great had a problem like that." The whistle sounded for the coms. "He-" Uhura was on the other end, a distress call under priority one was called from the station. This took precedence over any information we would be giving Chekov. Being dismissed as we headed to the station in red alert, I took to my lab.

When we arrived was a different matter entirely. There was absolutely nothing wrong, I was called to attend to whatever was happening on the other side. I beamed over just after Spock and Kirk were over themselves. Making it just in time to see someone speaking down to my captain. "This is my assistant, Aren Darvin. And now, Captain, I want all available security guards. I want them posted around the storage compartments."

I was rather perplexed with the development as I made my way over. "Storage compartments, storage compartments?"

The other man was the one to explain. "The storage compartments containing the quadrotriticale." And of course Kirk didn't know what it was, even after being shown a small bag of the grain.

The man in charge was rather smart about it. "Quadrotriticale is not wheat, Captain. Of course, I wouldn't expect your, Mr. Spock, or, uh, the young lady to know about such thing, but uh-"