Paradise and a Smile

I was watering my plants today when I was called to the transporter room, this time I was to be a Biologist. I sighed, I had hoped that after the Khan incident I would be left alone for longer. That did not seem to be the case. I remained silent, even seeing Spock waiting on the teleporter pad with the Captain and Doctor. "Ah, (Y/n), are you my Biologist today?" I gave a small nod getting onto the pad furthest from Mr. Spock.

The three of them seeming to stare at me. "So it would seem Captain. Even with my current workload of fifteen projects, I have some time to kill for this mission of yours." This didn't seem to instil any confidence in them but with the last members of the team arriving they dropped the matter entirely. My eyes wandering to the abandoned town ahead of us. The landscape was barren, mostly dirt, and a few trees in the area.

I silently followed the group further in. Stopping as Kirk leaned against a fence. "Another dream that failed. There's nothing sadder. It took these people a year to make the trip from Earth. They came all that way... and died."

I raised a brow seeing three men in green suits and what appeared to be a rake in one of their hands. "Hardly that sir." They came from behind us. I didn't know a lot about this planet, but this shouldn't have been possible. "Welcome to Omicron Ceti three. I am Elias Sandoval." Curious. The men walked closer to us, but I eyed them warily. "We haven't seen anyone outside our own group for four years, since we left the earth. We've been expecting someone for some time. Our subspace radio didn't work properly-- I'm afraid we didn't have anyone here who could master its intricacies."

I adjusted the tricorder on my shoulder slightly. "Actually, Mr. Sandoval, we didn't come here because of your silent radio." My eyes drifted around the space. Something about the area just seemed... off to me.

The man held his arms out. "It makes little difference, Captain. You're here... we're happy to see you. Come, let me show you our settlement." I glanced at the others in the party. They were moving to follow Mr. Sandalval if I'd had to guess. It was most curious that they were alive if what I'd heard about this planet were true. I turned to my Tricorder, there were heavy amounts of berthold rays hitting this planet. If we had to we would be safe here for around a week, but no more than that.

These rays were incredibly deadly. There were no cure, no serums, no antidotes. This made no sense of any sort. It shouldn't have been possible. Yet, as we walked there were clearly several people living on this planet. I have no logical explanation for what is happening here. I don't even have a non-logical explanation. There is not enough data for me to even make a guess as to what is going on.

We followed the man into one of the homes. "There are two other settlements, but we have forty-five colonists here." So, they didn't all live in the same area? Strange. "Well, we felt that would have a better chance for growth. If disease were to strike one group, then the others would be less likely to be affected. You see, Omicron is an ideal agricultural planet. We determined not to suffer the fate of expeditions that went before us."

A young girl made her way into the room, I think I saw her outside earlier. "Elias..." She seemed to stare directly at one of our people. And based off of the angle, I would say it was Mr. Spock. As I glanced to him, I could see a slight hint of recognition in his eyes.

Perhaps they knew one another from Starfleet? "Leila, come meet our guests. This is Leila Kalomi, our botanist. This is Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Ms. (Y/n), Mr. Spock." My suspicions were confirmed when the girl admitted to having met him before. She had a strange look about her features. One that I wasn't sure I recognised, but thought I had seen a few times before. Spock walked closer to the table, I stepped away and to the otherside of the Captain.

Whatever was going on here, I didn't understand it. The captain seemed to notice the look as well, his eyes moving between the two of them. "Mr. Sandoval, we do have a mission here. Examinations... tests..." We were given free reign to perform them, yet this idea of having complete peace was off. For every planet we found that tried to form a utopian society there was something wrong. "We'll try not to interfere with your work."