Silicon

I was humming lightly to one of my carnivorous plants to calm him. I had to trim back some of his leaves and humming was the only way to do so. "There, now I don't understand why you make such a fuss about getting a trim. We go through this every month." My hands were placed on my hips as it purred at me, rubbing its head against my cheek. "No, no none of that."

Someone cleared their throat behind me causing him to hiss. "My apologies, Ms. (Y/n) but I came for your report on the hashon clustering the gamma quadrant. I didn't realize I would be interrupting your... intimate relationship with this plant." Spock. He had been coming around here more and more since the spore incident, not that I minded.

We understand each other well enough. "What you call intimate I call possessive. He makes me hum to him every month just to give him a trim. As for the rubbing... I'm still trying to come up with a logical explanation for it. Perhaps he is just jealous... He doesn't usually hiss." I gave a small shrug. "In any case, was there a reason for your visit or was this a... social call. That is the correct term, yes?"

Spock just seemed to stare at the plant still rubbing against me, I had given up trying to push him off. Maybe.. where did I put his food pellets? "I came to inform you that we are approaching one of our mining plants. The Captain wanted you to come with the away team. Your Biology and Geology degrees will come in handy. As well as the masters in the medical field." I blinked. I had been running low on tasks this week...

Leaning into my desk I pulled out some of the food pellets and placed them away from me. My plant went for them immediately, which was a relief. It allowed me a quick exit. "I see, very well. I don't see why I can't go. My usual projects are currently in a petri dish and won't be ready for several weeks yet. Everyone here has already been fed, watered, and trimmed. I'd say that as far as work goes I have time available. As for my report, I had Yeoman Barrows take it about... three hours ago. It should already be in the Captains hands."

He nodded. "I see, thank you. Be ready with your supplies in a few hours. I will meet you in the transporter room." With that he left. I let out a long sigh before turning back to my plant.

My lips pursed slightly. "Your getting a little overweight. Perhaps it's time to cut back on the sweets, don't you think?" He perked right up and I would say staired in my direction, but he doesn't have eyes. He was still purring, but I shook my head. "No, I will not change my mind. We both know it. Purring and hissing won't get you out of it either." With that he resumed eating quickly, probably thought I'd be crazy enough to take that food away from him.

The hours passed slowly, most of it consisted of me letting the small creatures I had, roam around for a little bit before putting them back in their cages. The rest of it was adjusting settings in my tricorder. Upon beam down time, I was told we were to meet some engineering head of the planet. "All right, let's assume there is a monster. What has it done? When did it start?"

It did seem a little odd for them to find a monster now. "About three months ago, we opened up a new level. Sensors gave us an unusually rich Pergium reading. Not only Pergium-- whatever you want: Uranium, Cerium, Platinum. The whole Planet's like that. It's a treasure house." This was something we were aware of. The problem was mining conditions were less than ideal.

The question of what had occured still remained. "First , the automatic machinery, piece by piece, started to almost disintegrate. Metal began dissolving away. There was no reason for it, and our chemists were unable to analyze the corrosive agent." I started to think.

If they were mostly iron or steel then perhaps hydrochloric acid or nitric acid and water. "I'm sure there is an answer. It simply has not yet been discovered."

This man seemed to have other ideas. "Yes, it has. I don't know what this butchering monster is, but I know what it's doing." I watched as he pulled out some form of blueprint or maybe a map. "Our maintenance engineers sent down into the drifts to repair the corroded machinery. We found them... seared to a crisp."