M-5 pt. 2

Daystrom just nodded. "Fortunately, it was only a robot ship. As for the 'girl', she must have appeared dead for a brief moment. So to conserve power, M-5 shut the systems down." McCoy had issues with this.

As did Kirk. "But it shouldn't have destroyed or shut off anything. Especially in Sickbay! There might just as easily have been a crew aboard that ship. It could have killed a member of my crew!"

McCoy of course was not finished. "In which case, you would be guilty of murder."

Kirk held up his hand to stop McCoy from speaking further. "Bones. Disengage the computer. Lieutenant, contact Starfleet command. Tell them we are breaking off M-5 tests and returning to the space station. Come along, dr. Daystrom. M-5 is out of a job." With that said Kirk, Spock, and Daystrom headed to Engineering. "All right, Daystrom. Let's turn this thing off."

Kirk was stopped and knocked back by a field around the computer. Spock ran to his side, taking his arm to assist him up. There was a force field around the machine. "It's not my doing, Kirk."

Spock seemed, slightly disgruntled by this information. "I would say, Captain, that M-5 is not only capable of taking care of the ship, but it's also capable of taking care of itself." Kirk knew what that meant. There was not going to be an easy way to turn it off.

Kirk pointed to Daystrom. "All right, Doctor. You built this thing. How do you propose to turn it off?"

Daystrom remained calm. "This entire exercise is a trial for M-5, a shakedown. We must expect a few minor difficulties, but I assure you it can be corrected."

Kirk was having none of it. "Corrected after you release control of my ship. I'm starting to think that accident on deck 11 was no accident!"

Daystrom sighed in defeat. "I can't."

Scotty decided to suggest something instead. "Captain, I suggest we disconnect it at the source."

Daystrom didn't seem to like that at all. "Give me a few moments with it."

Kirk took his arm. "No, Stay here. All right, Scotty, turn it off." Scotty left with the other engineer to disconnect the power. Only for the M-5 unit to discharge an attack evaporating the engineer. Scotty's eyes widened as he turned to Kirk and Daystrom. It had almost been him who got vaporized. "That wasn't a minor difficulty. That wasn't a robot. That thing murdered one of my crewmen and now you're telling me you can't turn it off?! You realize what that means, don't you?!"

Spock glared at the man as well, having put the pieces into place as well. "It wasn't a deliberate act. M-5's analysis told it, it needed a new power source. The ensign simply got in the way."

Kirk was having none of it. "And how long will it be before all of us simply get in the way? Not to mention why it would create a circuit explosion and turn off life support to an entire deck!"

Spock decided to give an analysis at that point. "M-5 appears to be drawing power directly from the warp engines, tapping the matter-antimatter reserves."

Scotty didn't like the sound of that. "So now it has virtually unlimited power. Captain, what do we do?"

Kirk lowered his head. "Spock, Scotty, com with me." Before leaving the room Kirk called down to Sickbay. "Dr. Mabinga, disconnect (Y/n) from anything the computers in Sickbay can read, but keep her alive. I'll tell you when you can turn everything back on." With that said, they left the room and headed to one of the meeting rooms. With everyone in the room , Kirk started the meeting. "Report, Spock."

Spock was looking at one of the computers. "The multitronic unit is drawing more and more power directly from the warp engines. The computer now controls all helm navigation and engineering functions."