M-5

Our date the other night had gone rather well, I would like to think. Unlike the day we had to deal with the Kelvan, we just sat and talked about... well mostly science related topics. When he walked me back to my quarters at 1900, he gave me the Vulcan affection instead of the human's one. I was appreciative of that fact, not that I think he noticed. Instead he almost seemed disappointed. So before my door closed I kissed his cheek lightly and thanked him for a pleasant evening.

That said, we hadn't had the time to see each other since then. I was busy with the slug slime and he was busy with the new assignment. Apparently something big was happening in engineering from what I could gather when Scotty asked for some assistance. That ended when almost 480 crewmen were ordered off the ship and onto the space station. I was not one of them.

On the contrary, I was ordered to the bridge and took the turbolift to get there. Kirk was waiting for me with his arms crossed and leaned against the wall. "Captain, what's going on? I just finished watching over 480 crewmen leave the ship."

Kirk just shook his head. "What do you know about the M-5?"

To that my frown deepened. "Given my A-7 classification in Computers, I would say I would know a decent amount about the M-5 Mulitronic Unit. It was made by a Dr. Richard Daystrom, the man who is responsible for most of the ship's equipment. It's said to be a Complex Computer AI system, one that correlates all computer activity aboard a starship providing the ultimate in vessel operation and control. Why do you ask?" Something was definitely off about the way he asked about that.

Though he just sighed. "Because it's being installed in this ship. For now, I want you to continue your usual business until I call upon you for assistance." Taking my orders into note, I strode back to my lab. While I understood the precautions Kirk felt about it, there was nothing we could do. Orders were orders after all, and in the end, only we could decide how to proceed should the worst come to pass.

I decided to take this time to think about everything that was happening. After all, the M-5 system had more potential than anything ever conceived or created. This of course would include the man's breakthrough in Doutronics didn't come close to the promise of this particular machine. That said, after the first two hours of doing my own work, I remembered Scotty needed some assistance with the Chimite crystals.

Taking my tools, I headed down to engineering. "Mr. Scott, what was wrong with those crystals anyway?" I asked as I walked into the doors. What I saw was Scotty messing with the power cufflinks and Kirk, McCoy and Spock speaking with someone. A man I recognized as Dr. Daystrom. He was explaining something to them as I chose to walk closer to wait for Scotty to finish.

McCoy was saying something, probably complaints. "-if this thing doesn't work, there are not enough men aboard to run this ship, and that's begging for trouble."

Daystom looked between myself and the good doctor. I just rolled my eyes and placed myself on the wall. "Now, who is this, and that woman who just walked into here?"

That was when Kirk, McCoy and Spock turned to see me. I waved my bag so they knew I was just here for work with Scotty. "Dr. Leonard McCoy, Senior Medical Officer and (Y/n), top ships scientist. She does a little bit of everything from fixing ships computers to scientific research in her personal lab."

Daystrom of course didn't seem pleased by this answer. "I'm sorry, but this is a security area."

He looked like he was going to continue, but Kirk cut him short. "I wouldn't worry, Doctor. Both McCoy and (Y/n) have clearance throughout the ship. Plus, she is probably just here to assist Mr. Scott with something he asked her for. Is that correct, (Y/n)."