Universe Two

(In an alternate timeline, this is her story.)

I have been working with Starfleet for about three years now. I answer to one of the ambassadors and am so far the only person who has successfully beaten the Kobayashi test. How I managed to do so, is still unknown even to the creator of the test. This however was not what I wanted to be. I didn't want to be a starship captain. What I wanted was to be a science officer. The best science officer. I studied a lot of fields to get to where I am now. Medical, bioengineering, engineering, biology, insectology, geology, chemistry, as well as other various studies.

Today I was called in to observe a runthrough with a starship captain in training. "We are receiving a distress signal from the USS Kobayashi Maru. The ship has lost power and is stranded. Starfleet has ordered us to rescue them." It was obvious that the communications leason didn't particularly care for this man.

Though, he didn't seem to care either way. He seemed far too laid back for this simulation. "'Starfleet has ordered us to rescue them...' captain." The first alarm started blaring. One of the men told the 'captain' that there were two Klingon vessels locking their weapons on the crew and had entered the neutral zone. "That's ok." He was smiling... but why. My eyes narrowed, deciding to check the code I opened up a terminal. "Yeah, don't worry about it."

The professors in the room didn't understand, they were thinking the same as I was. This man was not taking the simulation seriously. "Three more Klingon warbirds de-cloaking and targeting our ship. I don't suppose this is a problem, either." My eyes scanned the code for any discrepancies. Anything that didn't belong or was added.

I glanced up, the 'captain' leaned back in his chair. "Alert medical bay to prepare to receive all crew from the damaged ship." The communications officer asked how they expected to rescue them when the ship was being attacked by five Klingon warbirds. "Alert Medical."

Glancing back at the code I continued to scroll through it, until.... The entire system glitched. My screen becoming unresponsive. The simulation was powering down by the looks of it as well. Just what has this man done to the system. The system came back to life about thirty seconds later but my screen was still frozen. Not only that but the 'captain' also beat the test.

This should have been impossible. "So... we've managed to eliminate all enemy ships, no one on board was injured, and the successful rescue of the Kobayashi Maru crew is underway." He was flaunting that he'd won. I have restarted my system so I could go back to reexamining the code. It was only after the discrepancies were found was I called to a court proceeding.

There were a lot of people here for this, and I took a seat next to one of the only Vulcans in starfleet. I'd heard a lot about him, he supposedly even came up with the test that I passed. He was on his way to becoming a captain or first officer by this point. "This session has been called to resolve a troubling matter. James T. Kirk, step forward." I watched as the young man walked up to the podium. "Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursuant to regulation 17.43 of the Starfleet code. Is there anything you care to say before we begin, sir?"

He took a second before responding. "Yes. I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly." I moved to stand but his hand found its way to my shoulder pushing me back into my chair. I glanced up, watching him fix his shirt before walking down the steps.

The man up front asking for him to step forward. "This is Commander Spock, one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programed the Kobayashi MAru exam the last four years. Only one person up to now has beaten it. Commander."

I watched Spock stand at attention on the other stand. "Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine in the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test." Kirk didn't see a problem with this. The man up front summed it up neatly. He cheated.