Fight to Death

As I looked to her sleeping figure I wanted to finish seeing the rest of that memory. Slowly, I placed my fingers on her face, relaxing my breaths to match hers. She was already dreaming about it. Kirk was lifting the beam off of her. It felt like the pain those creatures brought only to her lower half of her body as she turned to crawl. Her fingers digging into the cracks and rubble to pull herself away. She bit her lip to keep herself conscious as the pain spread.

Tears stung her darkening vision, but she kept moving. "I will be the best science officer... nothing will... stand in my way." I could feel her determination. She wanted this more than anything. There was silence around her, something warm running down her face and legs. I would guess blood from wounds. Then the sound of something heavy hitting the ground. Probably the beam Kirk had been holding up. Hands grabbing her, she was afraid.

It could have been the men who attacked the conference. She turned her hand pulling back ready to fight. Then instant relief. The captain took off his coat and wrapped her small frame in it. Once she was in his arms she pressed herself to him, she felt safe... comforted. She wanted to make him proud. Then the bodies. They were littering the ground below. Her stomach churned as her eyes moved from one body to the next. "Don't look at them, there isn't anything you can do."

His words were like static. Her only thoughts in that moment... blood covered floors, walls and floors. Knowing that nothing was going to be the same. A feeling of weakness possessing her body. "Promise me, we won't leave anyone behind ever again. I don't want anyone to be left behind." That promise again. This was the reason she rescued me. No there was more to it than that.

Kirk bit his lip, the darkness of her vision grew darker and darker as she waited. "If at all possible, I will never leave anyone behind. You have to make the same promise." A nod, lifting a weak bloodied hand to his shoulder. Just breathing was painful.

A slight crack in her airflow. "I promise." Then complete darkness. The darkness was cold, and empty, yet it didn't last forever. She opened her eyes slowly, several machines were beeping beside her. The pain was numbed out for now, and beside her a doctor. He was looking at her chart, this entire room was fuzzy unlike before where everything looked like it had been happening before me.

The man seemed to look up to check her monitors when he saw her opened eyes. Placing the chart down he walked to her bedside. "Good afternoon, (Y/n) how are you feeling? Any pain?" She blinked, taking in a slow breath. She shook her head pointing to a tube in her mouth. He nodded, slowly starting to remove it.

Her eyes wandered around as soon as she was unhooked. "Jim... I want to see Jim." The doctor was clearly frowning.

A small flashlight danced before her eyes. "I'll have a nurse call him for you. For now I need to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are and why you're here?"

She nodded. "I'm in a Starfleet Hospital because of the attack during a conference about alien life." This conversation continued for quite some time. "Sir... I also want to talk to someone in Starfleet about joining up. I will take whatever placement tests are necessary until I come of age." The man agreed before leaving the room. She sat in silence for a little while before getting up from the bed.

Standing before see looked at her eyes. Her fingers grazed just under her eyes. There was no light in them at all. She tried to smile, but while her mouth made the movement, her eyes didn't change. The smile dropped and she walked back to the bed. I pulled my hands away from her face. She was still dreaming of the past, yet... that last bit, she felt completely cold. I had never felt anything like it before. I didn't know what to make of it.