Chapter 6

The Christmas ball

December 22nd the Christmas ball. A day we all are waiting for so long. Today I shall be date to Lucas Hamilton. And my brother bought a beautiful red and white knit dress for me.

It is not exactly a ball gown but it is something more beautiful and he actually have a good taste.

My mind was still lingering on Ezra and his proposal. What have I done to get that kind off proposal from him? What was he thinking when he declared that I was to be his wife? Why he wanted me to be his wife again?

He is rich you are not you are a young billionaire by chance he is a billionaire by choice.

He is manipulative jerk I can give him that much credit. But once I have married him there is no escape He would just never let me walk away from him.

Seeing him on bed half dead like that with bottles surrounding him is not a site to see not a cold hearted billionaire he is.

I looked at my attire for the last time and I remembered his harsh words.

You have until Christmas.

Indeed I have two days to decide whether I would like to or not marry him. But then again I will have to marry a complete stranger not a wise choice in my part. I don't know who my father might marry me off to.

Then again he might be an better gamble than Ezra. Only that my life will be the thing on the betting table.

I know Ezra to an extent. But marrying him means that I am going to betray everyone in my family. They loathe Ezra and they will not going to hear the end of it. "Oh think of it as a business deal to save your sorry ass" I said to myself.

I put my hairs in curls and waited for my date for the night Luke. Luke had been nothing but a gentleman to me.

I heard the horn honk and I knew it was Lucas. He walked out of the car and towards my gate. He handed me a box. It contain a corsage the most beautiful I ever seen.

"I am not going to a prom" I said. "Yes but You are going to your first ball with me and many others to follow because I am intending on being around you more" He said with confidence. Oh if only...

"Let's go shall we Romeo?" I said playfully. "Only if you will be my Juliette" He said. "They died" i replied dryly.

"Oh they died for love isn't it enough of a noble cause to doe for someone you love?" He asked. Or maybe sacrifice yourself for them.

We reached to the ball as I have to play the role of hostess tonight in absence of My brother. I addressed the guest and welcomed all to the annual Christmas ball organized by Kings. "Care for a Dance Miss King?" Luke asked me. "I cannot see a reason why not Mr. Hamilton." I said placing my hands in his.

I heard Right here waiting for you by Richard Marx came and I danced slowly on it. I love this song. Slowly We both leaned towards each other getting lost in ourselves.

"Did I told you how much you look beautiful today just like an angel" Luke said making me blush.

"I wanted to tell you from the day i saw you but I couldn't mustered up courage to do so. You are one fine girl miss King and I like you so much." I gasp at this confession.

Blush rose at my cheeks. My eyes refused to meet his. But he placed his hand beneath my cheek and pushed it upwards. "Don't shy away from me Miss King."

Then I felt his lips upon mine. It was soft not rushed but I cannot help but compare it to certain someone. Why oh why he have to ruin me for every single soul on this earth? It was warm and nice but It lacked the sparks.

Suddenly I was pulled away in someone's arm and he punched Lucas. "Oh my god are you alright?" Lucas grunted in response. I looked at Ezra and he was fuming. Who invited him to the ball? "don't you dare kiss her she is mine" Ezra said angrily.

"Mr. Olyphant please don't make a scene here." I said trying to control the situation at the same time keep Luke and Ezra from stabbing each other's neck.

"Gentlemen we are all civilized people here and we do not kill each other over a lady" I heard Lucian say.

"Damn right but still Jealousy doesn't suit him when he know exactly what he did with her. He doesn't have the right to be jealous or jeopardize her newly found relationship." Damn Myra why do you have to make everything personal.

No one in the company knows our relation and I really don't want to be any part of rumors which can circulate within these walls.

"Please" i looked at Ezra and said "Leave" I said softly. "Only of you promise to come home" He said looking at me. "I..." "She is not going anywhere she is going with me my home my place where she belongs and I am going to make sure to l..." Lucas was stopped by Ezra

"If you dare to touch her again the consequences will be terrible Mr. Hamilton." Ezra said Icily.

Then he looked at me for the last time "Come home to me promise me you will Come to me after this Promise me little one" there was strange kind of desperation in his voice. I nodded and he left.

"You are not really going to go are you?" Myra asked me later . "I have to or he will drink himself to death and I cannot bear to see him on hospital bed again" I said truthfully.

"You still Love him so much don't you Rose?" She asked. "I...I don't " I said casting my eyes down. "Then you should be with Lucas not with Ezra and let him die..."

"No I...I can't" I said. She smiled sadly at me. "You are a hopeless romantic Rose"

Word count: 1047 words