Chapter 22

Mother

I didn't know where I was going. I was just driving in the direction where, I too don't know. I just wanted some mental peace. I wanted some mental peace for myself. I found myself in front of the airport. It was good that My brother always have his private jet around. I know where I want to go.

I found myself driving to the familiar surroundings. To the place where it all started. The plane landed in Canada, my hometown. Where I met Ezra almost a year ago. Where I insulted him and he took me on a ride that had turned my life literally upside down. I had a rental car prepped for me already.

I parked my car and sat there for a long time watching through the windows. Watching her silhouette. She looked even older than before. As if she was grown old before her time and worse it I didn't even told her about Sammy, and that we had found each other. She refused to have any contact with me. That woman can hold grudges if she wants to.

I walked to the diner and held my hand to the door. Should I try and talk to her? I cannot see her working for her daily bread this way. I am a billionaire for god's sake, I can provide the best medical care for her. I want to see her happy and healthy. But a question arises in my mind. Was I really her happiness?

I hesitated moving back. But then she opened the door. "Are you coming in? we will be closing up in few minutes, but I am sure the Barnes can whip something up for you if you are hungry, I am sure he can still have that chicken you like." I was almost in tears. My mom always knows when I need my comfort food.

She sat down in front of me. Other staff greeted me. "Rosa darling, you are back." Aunt Anette said hugging me. "Hello Aunty, I missed you" I said crying and hugging her tightly. She hugged me back and told chef to wrap up my favorites. I cannot believe it had been so long since I can here. It feels like yesterday. It feels like it was just recently when I got the call and left. Maybe I shouldn't have.

"You always were the one to eat when you are stressed." My mother commented. "Sorry Momma" I said pulling back from my food. "You have lost weight, is that boy starves you back there?" She asked. She is asking about Ezra. "no, we are just having a little disagreement." Aunt Annette sat beside me. "Tell you what girl, ain't no disagreement can make you fly thousands of miles away to escape him. So did he hurt you? Of he did then I will castrate him alive." I laughed.

Ezra on a pole and my aunt is dancing with bunch of spears all around with her followers. Now that would be funny thing to see. "No, it's alright, do not need to kill him just yet Aunty." I said finishing my drink. "I am just giving him space to clear his mind a bit. He needs that. I need that. There are many things that had happened this year and I still am trying to grasp it."

My mother held my arms. "Are you here to stay Rosa?" She asked. I nodded. And then I stood up hugging her. "I am so sorry momma, I am so sorry, for doing whatever I did and for Ezra and this whole mess. I am so sorry, I should have listened to you. I should have been more weary of him. He was exactly what you warned me about." I told her.

She pulled back smiling. "No Rosa, he is not what I warned you about. He is different. I can say this. He came looking for you few months back. He begged me to tell your whereabouts on his knees. I haven't seen many doing this. He stayed here for few days and told me that he wanted to get better for you. He wanted to change. I haven't saw men doing that in long." She said.

"He came here?" I asked. She nodded. :He said that he misses you. That he was wrong to let you go. All that you are seeing here, because of him. He helped restore this place. He helped me in the shelter too. He volunteered to work in there himself. He may be a cold person from outside Rosa, but he is a broken man inside, A broken man who needs your love for mending himself." She said.

"I don't know Momma. He seems very different. Now he doesn't want to talk to me. He was angry last time I saw him. He has hurt me mom, a lot. He had hurt me a lot." I said softly. She smiled. "Which relationship doesn't have problems? But it is always wise to resolve the differences my dear Rosa. Or you forever will regret thinking what might had happened if you did find a way to salvage it." She said.

She parked her car in front of our old house. I followed too. "Will it be trouble for you if I stayed here Momma?" "Children never ever be burden on their parents Rosa, and you always were my special girl. I would never ever feel burdened by you. Knowing that what you did was for me. I understand you wanted to have a better future for me. But it was my responsibility Rosa." She sat down on the couch.

"I sometimes feel like I have failed as a mother. I feel like a failure." I held her hands. "No Momma, you are not a failure. You wanted to hide me from the cruel world outside. You were not wrong, you wanted me to weary about the monster outside these four walls. And I didn't heed your warning." She stroked my hairs.

"World is filled with monsters, but Rosa, not every person is one." "How will I know momma? How will I see their true self? How am I going to determine? I cannot see how." I asked her. "Because you can Rosa, I have faith in you. Look closer in your heart and you will see for yourself. You will see how strong you are" She said.

"Thank you Momma" I whispered. "Sleep tight Rosa, you are safe here, you are safe with me." Her voice said just before I closed my eyes. Yes, I was safe, I was home.

Word Count: 1105 Words