Part 14 : The Twilight Goddess

G U S I O N

The city loomed in front of us. It wasn't as cheerful or as bright as Eurodito, but it was definitely bigger.

'Ready?' Claude asked. We all nodded hesitantly. 'Let's go.'

As soon as I stepped in there, the surrounding air suddenly grew cold. I let out an involuntary shudder. Everyone seemed to have been affected by the sudden change of temperature. We all huddled close to each other.

This city was completely the opposite to Eurodito. Here, everything was dark and gloomy. I could hardly see anything living here. Not even trees, just old, wrecked, abandoned buildings and debris.

As if we were the only ones alive here.

Goosebumps broke throughout my body at that thought. I shuddered again.

I noticed Lesley beside me. She was walking so close to me that our arms were lightly brushing against each other. Another wave of goosebumps broke out, but for an entirely different reason.

She had her hands hugged around her. She suddenly said, 'This place is eerie.' She whispered, as if afraid something might "wake up" from the shadows.

'I know right.' I replied. I noticed that she was shivering. I took out my scarf and wrapped it around her. 'Better?'

She visibly relaxed and exhaled. 'Yes, much better. Thanks, Gusion.' She smiled. It made my heart melt. Somehow I managed to smile back.

'I was hoping when you'd do that.' Miya said in a hushed voice, so that Lesley wouldn't hear and also to avoid trouble.

'Huh? Why? I was just helping her out.'

'You really like her, Gusion. I know you and Lesley for some time now, and it seems like you both are having a hard time admitting things.' She whispered.

I remained silent. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't say she was wrong about that.

'Maybe you should just tell her.'

'I think it's a great idea.' Fanny butted in, also whispering.

'What? No, that's a terrible idea!' I argued, but still keeping a low voice. 'She's been through so much, and the last thing she wants is this.' I waved my hands in front of me.

'I really have to agree with Fanny.' Miya crossed her arms, indicating she's standing her ground.

'Just give it a shot. Please?' Fanny pleaded.

'I don't think she likes me that way.' I said truthfully, running a hand through my hair, looking down.

'Oh, believe me, you won't regret.' Fanny winked.

Huh? Does she know something I don't?

'Okay, how about this? After we save Harley, I'll do it.'

'Promise?' They both looked at me with hopeful eyes.

I sighed. What have I gotten myself into? 'I promise.'

'Yes!' They both squealed as quietly as they can but the rest of them heard it regardless. I groaned.

'What's going on?' Lesley asked. I glared at them.

'Uh, well, Gusion promised us that he'll cook for us once we get back home with Harley.' Fanny smiled sweetly.

'What?' I facepalmed. Martis and Alucard looked at me like I suddenly grew a second head.