Seventeen

. . .

・゚: *✧・゚:* ✧*:・゚✧ ✧・゚: *      

❝ It's time we both clear ways or sneak our way out together, leaving behind the thunderstorm ❞

Jaehee

"Hey, Jaehee, can I ask you something?" Jimin asks, sitting next to me against the tree branch as students walk by. Some are on the green hill, having lunch with friends or taking a nap on the bench unbothered.

A few listen to music with headphones on minding their own business and actually studying in the shade.

"Yeah, what is it?" Our eyes meet as we turn to look at each other.

Unintentionally so do our hands, but I'm distracted. Not by his beautiful doe-brown eyes that seem so endless and deep as the ocean, it's what he said the other day.

Now that it occurs to me, we've been friends for almost a whole semester and I've done nothing but treat him like a dog.

He's not my pet.

He's human.

And my friend.

"Runaway with me."

Silence.

These four words brainwash me like a wave rolling over the sand, collecting pebbles.

I'm utterly at lost for words.

Why would he address that as a question or statement?

The first thing that comes out from my mouth is a worried slash flabberghasted laugh, but he looks at me seriously, jaw clenched.

So apparently he is damn serious and I'm literally lost, however, I suck it up and answer him back after taking a deep breath.

"What is with you and your silliness?" I playfully punch his shoulder, avoiding his eyes.

"I'm serious. I meant it when I'm leaving back to Korea—tomorrow. I meant it when I said run away with me," voice rigid, he swallows the gulp resting between his throat.

I can't make myself to actually look at him but notice that his hand is over mine.

I think I'm being stupid.

So so stupid that finally, my head snaps up, our eyes lock, and then I feel a squeeze to my hand and his fingers interlock with mine.

And I don't know why I'm so nervous all of the sudden, just us staring at each other from one eye to another as if no one else matters.

"Jaehee, you know you matter to me right?" Jimin says softly waiting for my answer.

All I can do is nod though, however, what surprises me is when he catches a strand of hair out of place, tucks it behind my ear and my cheeks fume and my eyes are slightly wide.

"I know what I said the other day was a little harsh and that our friendship is a bit iffy, but promise me, we'll meet each other again."

"Hey! If destiny wants us to meet again, we will." I laugh, pushing away from him only to get pulled back eye to eye, our noses so close to touching.

"I'm serious, you have no idea how much you're making me—"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who do we have here? Our Jaehee's swept off her very own feet. Only Eric can do that," a quirky voice emphasizes Eric, snapping me towards the direction of the voice.

I'm greeted with Kim Beomseok, Choi Heejung, and of course Kang Eric.

"So this is the lovely Park Jimin you've been around lately?" Eric laughs, clearing his throat, and the next thing I know he yanks me by my wrist away. His grip tightens and there's this absolute stinging pain, causing me to hiss. "Listen, Park Jimin, you and her aren't worth it, so stop following her tail and get lost. What, are you going to keep standing there and looking at me like that?"

He laughs out of pity and amazement as Jimin stands his ground, eyes glaring at him like lasers, hands curling into a fist.

"I think I like it this way," Jimin replies, holding his anger.

Again another laugh Eric releases, then places his hands on Jimin's shoulders, looking into his soft brown eyes. "Don't make this any harder, Park Jimin." He says in a quiet voice.

My eyes avert to two boys standing across from me, one smiling, the other has his arms crossed, releasing a deeply disappointed sigh. "She's out of your league, she's a wildcat, she's not ladylike, she's the daughter of the Mafia, the Song Family. She doesn't care about friendship, love, and you, Park Jimin."

Drop dead silence.

Is it possible my heart has shattered?

I don't even know about Jimin's heart.

Heejung snaps his head up, eyes meeting Eric's, and speaks.

"Eric, you're going too far." Heejung retorts, desperation laced in his voice as he gives him a warning glare.

But his own eyes widen when Eric makes his way towards him, grabbing a hold of the collar of his shirt aggressively, glaring at him, and then pushes him on the chest to which Heejung falls on the ground.

"She doesn't even love you," Jimin fires back, pools of tears in his eyes.

"What do you know?"

"I know her heart. I know what happened that night—the deal."

Eric looks away, smiling and amazed that he knew.

Jimin suddenly takes steps towards him, grabbing the collar of his shirt and meets Eric's eyes confidently, saying with every ounce of strength he has, "Just don't hurt Jaehee."