Twenty

. . .

・゚: *✧・゚:* ✧*:・゚✧ ✧・゚: *

❝You're more than enough❞

Jaehee

Jimin is standing there, eyes wide with his mouth open. Then running a hand through his unruly blonde hair, he processes exactly the two words, happy birthday, and a brightly lit strawberry shortcake cake with blue and red candles standing tall.

I tell him to make a wish, so he does, blowing all the candles out with a smile on his face.

He says thank you. There's absolutely nothing for me to say but, happy birthday, my friend, Jimin.

We sit together on a roof of a small abandoned house in silence, but the atmosphere is different between us.

His hand sits next to mine, a smile attached to his face, suddenly he laughs, taking a piece of the cream from the cake and puts it on my cheek, startling me.

"Hey, Jimin, that's not fair!" My immediate reaction is to do the same, however, I take as much as cream as possible and splatter it all over his face as he tries to dodge, only laughing.

I find myself laughing too. Smirking at the masterpiece I've made out of him with my paintbrush skills using apparently fluffy whipped cream.

I'm about to begin again, do him over so he's a fine piece of art. My hand comes to his face, ready to splatter the cream on his face, but he grabs my arm midway, staring at me intensely.

Our eyes lock, silence joins us, and my heart races never like before.

I never noticed how beautiful his cinnamon sprinkled eyes are and his lips . . .

"I don't neeed any gift because you're the best gift the world has given me."

My face is probably red and body is hot but I just laugh, lightly punching him in the shoulder.

The brown of his eyes darkens, eyes not leaving mine as he takes in all my features. And with my eyes lost in his, cheeks warming up, his gaze shifts, looking at my lips but move to look at my own eyes. I'm in all honesty lost at sea.

"Jaehee, you didn't have to do all this," he calls out to me in a soft voice. His eyes are soft as he says this. Part of me wants to ask him why not and how he forgot his own birthday and more, but then again it would be invading his private space.

"I wanted to, besides who else is going to celebrate your birthday with you?"

He turns his head to look at me, surprised, mouth agape. "How'd you know when it's my birthday anyway? And why are you so nice all of a sudden? You know, Jaehee, you're really interesting, sometimes make me want to punch a wall or other times protect you from the world." Jimin says this all almost very fast, his cheeks burning, eyes averting to the left, then catches my gaze softly.

He gives a small smile when he sees me grinning, head tilted, squinting my eyes; overjoyed.

The boy eventually gives up, raises a brow at me. When I'm not paying any attention to him he's suddenly gone and there's this empty feeling around, haunting me.

"Jimin, where'd you go?" My voice shakes, memories of the past coming back to haunt me when my cousin used to stick around me all the time until he said he's growing old that I need to take care of myself and make actual friends.

It's like it's meant to be, a tear streams down my cheeks.

I'm shivering from the cold wind brushing past me.

"I'm right here, Jaehee. I'm never going to let you go," he whispers softly in my ears. Somehow his voice is relaxing and warm and I'm no longer scared.

His arms come around me from behind, surprising me but soon enough I relax into his arms, blushing vibrantly at how close our bodies are together.

We're practically hugging. How romantic.

I hate romantics.

My mind awakens and I throw my arm behind, shooting him in the lower part of his chest lightly and he groans, yet laughs.

"You could've given me a warning." He says in a quiet voice. The kindness I've developed over time being with him attacks me like crazy.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, worry laced in my voice as my eyes analyze his features. I bring my hand to his chest, touching as to soothe him. It's what I've learned as a kid if someone's hurt except not the effects.

His hand grabs my arm once again, his grasp is firm but gentle.

Is this not enough, should there be another remedy? Or maybe I shouldn't have asked him that question when it's obvious.

His gaze on me is intense as he lowers my arm.

"Don't ever do that again. Yeah, I'm your friend, but I have feelings for you."