CHAPTER ONE

The headwinds allow the birds to fly briskly across the skyline

The headwinds allow the birds to fly briskly across the skyline. The skyscrapers towering over like superior judges, gazing out at the city with deciding eyes. The streets bustle with life in every direction. Men, women, children, they all walk the streets the way they always do, the way they are expected to do.

But not me, no, I do something that would be considered reckless and careless, I run. And for once, I finally feel free. I finally feel alive in a world that doesn't seem to allow living.

The wind blows through my brunette locks, throwing them over my shoulders and slapping them against my back with every bounce. I heave for air with every jaunt, my chest rising as I put my left foot forward, propelling my body through the air in a steady motion. I take in the buildings, not caring if the men in the offices see me run in the back alley.

At this point, now that I see how society works, it only makes me want to run. It makes me want to leave the city and find a life of freedom, where I can be who I want to be and love who I want to love. For a government that says they favor the pursuit of happiness of the people, they sure as hell don't show it one bit.

I'm dragged from my thoughts as the rhythmic beat of my shoes on the concrete gains another tempo, another set of feet beating from behind. I panic, my eyes involuntarily scanning the upcoming path in front of me, searching for the Patrolmen. I pick up my pace, my breaths coming in unsteady heaves as my stomach begins to churn. My hands find their way to my side, gripping it as a cramp clutches my muscle. I run faster.

The feet seem to be gaining speed, their steps sounding closer and closer to me, yet far away enough that it'll give me some time to escape. Adrenaline rushes through my veins, and I can't help but find a smile spreading across my lips as I'm reminded of the present moment. I am running in a city that doesn't permit running, I am breaking a law among many that are expected to be followed twenty-four-seven. The space needle begins to come into view, one of the last original structures to have survived the devastation of war. The birds glide overhead, almost as if they are guiding me down a path to laxity.

The slapping of shoes begins to dissipate from behind me, becoming less and less constant, like a roaring river coming to a still lake. I slow my pace, my breaths becoming more stable with every new step I take. A sudden whirl of wind whips my hair in my face, wisps becoming tangled in my lashes. And that's when I feel it, the sudden rush of pain as I'm slammed into the wall. My heart nearly jumps out of my chest at the abrupt movement.

My eyes close as I feel a strong, muscular arm come across my neck, pressing ever-so slightly against my throat. I breath heavily, my chest rising and falling as I attempt to move my long hair behind my shoulder.

I open my eyes, and feel relief, "Damn you, Quinn! You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

Shrugging off my last comment, he states, "You shouldn't be running," his tone cold and candid.

"And you shouldn't be chasing me like that!" I fire back, "I thought you were a Patrolman," I divulge angrily, my voice seething with frustration.

"And what if I was, what would you've done? Kept running? You know you can't outrun them, Madelynn."

I take another breath, "Yeah," I sigh, "Yeah I would've kept running," I blankly state.

"What if you were found doing this? Huh? How do you think Dad's rep would be affected when the court hears his daughter breaking the law?"

"I honestly couldn't give a damn about his rep, I would still do what makes me feel free from the stupid law."

"When will you ever grow up, Madelynn?!" Quinn shouts, "You need to understand that we're living in a day and age where breaking a law doesn't pass lightly by the court, alright! You can be seriously punished for acting so stupid!"

I push Quinn off of me, his arm returning to dangling at his side. He runs his hand through his brunette locks in a swift motion, taking in a sigh of defeat.

"I'm only trying to protect you, Mads." He pauses, a long drawn out pause, "I understand your desire to run, okay, I feel it, too. But sometimes we have to be mature about our decisions and think of the consequences, it's the only way we can survive in this city."

I giggle a little under my breath, a sudden memory popping into my mind as the last word slips from his lips. "You sound just like mom saying that."

"It's 'cause she said the same thing to me when I decided to ditch school that one time in sixth grade and go for a little walk." He smiles, a genuine smile, hiding the pain he feels for the memory of her, the look of betrayal slowly edging its way onto his features. "I miss her," he adds under his breath. He takes me into an embrace and squeezes me gently.

"I do, too," I manage to breathe in his white blouse. He draws back, a sudden mischievous stare taking over his glossy brown eyes. "What?" I ask, incredulous as to what he's going to say.

"Race you home!" And with that he takes off running.

"Wait! I thought you said we had to think about the consequences of our actions!" I shout after him, starting off my jaunt to catch up with him.

"YOLO!" Is his only response back, as he rounds a corner and disappears from sight.

For a nation that was once said to have thrived from living life to the fullest surely seems so unimaginable now. A world where the people were free to do whatever they wanted seems so alien to me, it's a thought that almost feels forbidden; for the twenty-second law of the new constitution makes it illegal to promote any ideas of a free democracy, eliminating the freedom of speech. I lose sleep at night dreaming and thinking of what it would have been like back then, and I can't help but wonder if their secluded world is any different from ours. I can't help but wonder what life is like out there in the ruins of past cities, and how the Damaged live as one united people.