CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The setting sun shines above the chasm, the sky ablaze with bright and charming shades and hues of brilliant reds and yellows that rise to the top as a pastel blue and navy purple ombre

The setting sun shines above the chasm, the sky ablaze with bright and charming shades and hues of brilliant reds and yellows that rise to the top as a pastel blue and navy purple ombre. The sunsets here were different, the chasm hiding us like ants in between dried and cracked dirt. You can see nothing except the colors, and the trees that grow over the edge, unlike in the city where you could see the fiery gas ball reflecting off of every building.

This view was unarguably better, the trees that hang over the side with their leaves and vines almost touch the ground and act as ropes for us down in the chasm. From above, the Sectors are described to be valleys and never ending walkways creating a maze. The grade is different in every Sector, meaning some are above ground and other parts below ground.

The Pures always taught in school that the Damaged lived in the ruins of past cities, this is true, but they mainly live within the land, embedded within the strong stone and hidden away in between the carved valleys created by natural disasters and human altercation.

The Damaged were good at hiding, I recall learning that only a select few Pures knew the exact coordinates of the Damaged and their living quarters, making a journey here alone almost impossible except with several maps all charting a different part of the land. Quite remarkable if you think of it. A population of people deemed unintelligent and thrown to the outskirts dismayingly live in advanced class with resources they must use creatively to survive. Quite remarkable.

As I wander aimlessly down the perfectly lit chasm, I can't help but get lost in the amazement of this place. How the people here grew from nothing and have created a thriving civilization with as little disease outbreaks as the Pures and a low infant mortality rate.

I stride further down the pathway, taking in the different sized solar panels that connect to a torch on the walls, each one recycled and cracked, yet still usable.

I stride past the school, now realizing I've wandered to Sector four, the sign above my head reading:

Northden
Sector 4 - Area Code 360 - Olympia

I stare confused for a moment at the last word, Olympia, recalling that Magecliff didn't have another place cited after the area code.

There were so many questions popping into my head, every second that I walked another one popped in.

Who were the first people here? Who decided the names of the Sectors? How many people live here?

They keep coming, but there's one that stays prominent in my mind from the rest.

What makes us so different from them? What separates the Pures from the Damaged?

I've always had ideas, everyone did. Some thought it was a cruel social experiment, others thought it was out of pure ignorance, but no real answers were ever given, not in school and not from the elders.