CHAPTER TWO

The moment I step foot outside, I'm inundated with piercing sunlight, my eyes involuntarily squeezing into narrow slits

The moment I step foot outside, I'm inundated with piercing sunlight, my eyes involuntarily squeezing into narrow slits. I place my hand over my forehead, and begin scrutinizing the area for a familiar face.

The shouts coming from the people around me start to drown out as they walk further off campus. Girls with heavy textbooks in hand move in herds like horses, giggling and twirling their hair. The pompous guys lean on the ledge of the garden square and laugh like there is no tomorrow.

I glance off into the cityscape, taking in all the quartz and perfection, but I refuse to label it beautiful. The grass is green and the trees abloom with vibrant leaves of pink, cherry blossoms growing in the center.

"Madelynn!" I hear someone holler, and snap my head around in every direction.

"Madelynn!" I hear again, this time seemingly closer. And not even a second more, I feel a hand come to rest on my shoulder. "Madelynn, I swear you are so blind! I was standing over there waiting for you!" Mia bellows, pointing over to a vacant spot where the sidewalk meets the expansive field.

"Sorry," I say, tucking my hair behind my ear.

She rolls her juniper green eyes playfully, "Whatever. You ready to go?"

"I'm really sorry, Mia, but I have to get home, you know how my dad is...I'll catch you later, okay?"

"Okay," she sighs dramatically, "I'll see you tomorrow!" She smiles, and pivots on her heel, her short jet black hair flowing as she moves.

Every time I think I'll be able to have my own time, it always gets taken away, and there's nothing I can do to protest. In my house, whatever is said by the boss is done, no questions asked.

***

Walking in the alleyway is the only way to catch a break from the hustle and the constant expectation to live up to perfection. The buildings act as shields from the cold, hard eyes of the Patrolmen who crowd the streets, standing in a flawless line all hours of the day, always standing ten feet apart, never more, never less. I take pleasure in being alone, away from all jeering eyes, it's the only way to have a personal thought for more than a minute in this city.

My feet scoff on the asphalt, kicking gravel to the side. I turn, a brand new alleyway opening up with skyscrapers piercing the setting sun. The skies glow a brilliant orange, the reflection of the sun can be seen bouncing off every mirroring window. The clouds glide swiftly in the sky, looking like fluffy sheep herding in a field.

Usually, I take my time getting home, walking and stopping as I please...and I always do it with Mia. Everyday, we would walk home and talk about boys or the latest school project. We would always laugh and joke with one another, but I haven't been able to have that luxury because of my demanding father. He tells us what needs to be done, and we do it, without question. Quinn and I, we act as his servants.