CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

◉ Tate Torres ◉

Tate Torres

Elation and rejoice sounds as I arrive slowly back to the group, my eyes taking in the thousands of crates stacked up in a pyramid pile under the shade of the trees. Everyone shouts and congratulates one another with wide grins and smirks.

"We did it!" They shout and chant.

Malcolm finds me seconds after me appearing under the trees.

"We did it, man! We did it!" He hollers over the celebration, his arms wide taking me into an embrace as he pats my back in content harshly.

I wince in pain as he pulls away, and his eyes travel down to the gash on my abdomen.

"Damn," he murmurs under his breath.

"I'm fine," I say, brushing it off, "We gotta get back to Wavernpond with all this," I point to the crates, to which Malcolm follows my gesture and lights up.

"Yeah, let's move it out!"

***

The last of the crates are carried back to Capital Pier, as we arrive through the gates people line the pathway from left to right, creating an erupting gauntlet. I search around the faces, each person high off of euphoria, it's a high that no drug could ever give. I long to see one face, but can't find her anywhere.

We stride and make our way into Capital Pier, where I am met with even more people. The stands erupt in an outcry of celebration, the bleachers full from top to bottom of pounding fists and celebratory hollers. As I stride in, Quinn walks up to me with a wide smile, his perfect Pure teeth on full display.

"You did it, Man, congrats!" He says, shaking my hand vigorously as Logan and Sam appear behind him, the same grins drawn on their faces.

"Thanks," I say, "Part one is completed, now we gotta prepare for step two."

"When will that happen?" Sam questions, stepping forward.

"Tomorrow."

"Sick," Logan says, a wide smile taking over his features, motivation and passion radiating from his stance. I laugh with the others, striding away from them and back to the wide group. I take in the pile of crates spread across the floor, that euphoric feeling one again returning and I fold my arms over my chest in content.

"Tate," to the sound of her voice I snap around quicker than a breaking twig. The smile on my face now reaches ear to ear.

She strides me, and I find myself taking her into a tight embrace, squeezing her body closer to me with every second. She pulls away some time after, the warmth flowing from her skin leaving mine cold as she pulls away. Ever since that event in the dining hall with Sam, I couldn't stop thinking about her tone she took with me. I don't know what it was, but it did something to me, her pleading voice changed something in my mind, and it made me let go, both literally and emotionally. It cleared my mind at that very moment, and I would be lying if I said that it didn't scare me...the power of her voice...it scared me.

"Are you alright? How did everything go? Did you get hurt," with her last question her eyes do a once over of my body, landing on the tear in my shirt and the gash. "Oh my goodness," she says staring at it with dilated pupils, "Are you ok?! What happened?"

"I'm fine," I say, "I promise, I just ran into some friends, but I promise I'm alright," I beam down to her, taking her rosy cheek into the palm of my dirtied hand, most of the blood rubbed off on my clothing.

"I was so scared, I couldn't stop thinking-" I cut her off by leaning down for a soft kiss, her eyes glassy and full of chafe.

I pull away from her, "I told you, this plan is safe. Anything that can go wrong has a backup plan, I promise you...if all cards are played well, the victory is in our hands," I tuck a piece of her brunette hair behind her sunburnt ears, never tearing my gaze away from her glinting chocolate eyes.

"I know but-"

I place my thumb on her bottom lip to stop her thoughts from running rabid. "I told you," I begin to reiterate, "This plan is the best way to get what we all deserve...freedom."

We stare at one another for a moment, but I avert my gaze to the feeling of being watched, to which I'm met with the fiery eyes of Raelynn, eyeing me with her devilish aura. Madelynn notices this, and begins to turn around to follow my gaze, but I hold her still in place.

"What is it?" She asks.

"Nothing," I say, staring back at her, "Nothing at all." I pull her to my chest, her head resting above my beating heart. When I look back to Raelynn, the spot where she once stood is now vacant, Raelynn nowhere to be seen, gone like smoke.

I can't help but feel a pang of guilt, but once my gaze is met with Madelynn, that guilt just melts away.