CHAPTER TWENTY

◉ Madelynn Rivera ◉

Madelynn Rivera

"Have you heard about what they're planning?" Quinn asks, his arms folded over the dining hall table as he stares at me profoundly. He watches me as I fiddle with the stitches on my arm where the tracker had been cut out. My cruel mind reminds me of the spectacle every time I look at it, remembering what it felt like to have foreign, soft skin touching my own...though the conduct was harsh. It still strangely felt nice, and I curse myself every single time I think this.

"No," I say after a moment of silence, "The people in the kitchen don't get to sit and gossip like you do, so we know nothing," I say, calmly, not bitterly, my subtly jocular tone not transferring to him.

"They've been telling us the plan for over a month, that guy that started this whole thing constantly repeating it over and over...it's quite annoying," he says, leaning back in his chair. "It's like he thinks we don't have brains! I guess...perhaps, maybe it's so that if something goes wrong we will know what to do."

It has been a month since the attack, not much happening in public, but behind closed doors, the infantry plans for this mysterious rebellion.

"Well, then...what's the plan?"

Quinn is silent for a moment, his eyes scouring the space around us, making sure that the area is free of listening ears. Five other people sit at a table across the room from us, all talking in hushed tones presumably about the same matter.

"On Wednesday, a train is scheduled to arrive near the border of Wavernpond, and the first step is to hijack that train."

"Wait a minute, how did you get involved with all of this?"

"Remember, I told you Sam and I were part of security, they recruited all of us and even more people who wanted to fight. Even Logan joined. General Torres granted us three leadership positions, he said that since we were once Pures that we will blend in when we go to the city."

I glare at Quinn, uneasiness crowding over me. I find myself involuntarily rolling my eyes at Tate's new title.

"Quinn, that's a suicide mission," I deadpan, "This isn't just some game that gives you multiple lives, this is a matter between life and death. You and the others know as good as anyone how dangerous the Patrolmen are." I say.

"That's exactly why we are the ones going to the city, Madelynn, because we know the dangers and won't get caught."

"This is insane, Quinn! You're just willing to follow some amature's plan to sneak into the city and do what exactly?"

"Overthrow the system."

"This is ridiculous!" I shout, my voice becoming a little loud as the five other people in the room peer over their shoulders to look at me. "This is suicide," I reiterate.