CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

◉ Tate Torres ◉

Tate Torres

Bodies drop like flies around me, everywhere my eyes land I'm met with the horrific sight of lifeless Patrolmen and Midnight Soldiers.

I stand in the middle of the meadow frozen, the action around me appearing in slow motion as my breaths come heavily in and out of my mouth. I watch as Damaged slam the butts of their guns into the heads of the Patrolmen chasing for them, their guns running out of ammo. Others fight with sharpened knives, thrusting them through the thin armor of the Patrolmen. The soldiers with black armor impale the Damaged left and right, their bodies tazed as the weapon pierces their skin.

I'm interrupted from my gazing as I see a Patrolman rush up on me from the corner of my eye. I turn quickly before he is able to reach me. I thrust my knife up, but he's quick to react, throwing my arm down as his own knife grazes my cheek, slicing a small gash. A small shout escapes me as I charge at the man again, forcing my elbow across his broken helmet, taking it clear off his head and onto the ground.

He breathes heavily as he reaches his foot up to kick me in my ribs, but I block him, grabbing hold of his foot and ripping him forward off of his feet onto the ground. I kick the knife out of his hand before he's able to stab me in the legs, stepping over his body and thrusting my weapon down through his chest.

I wipe at the sweat on my brow, my body heaving for air as I frantically search around me for Gage. Finally, my eyes narrow on him fighting a soldier in black armor from across the field with an electrified spear, his body worn and tired. I jump up from my place, peering down quickly realizing that an electrified spear lies at my feet. I grab it from the handle, holding it in front of my face and watching in amazement as the weapon comes alive with surging energy. A smile comes to my lips through my mask as I charge towards Gage, his punches and blocks growing weaker and weaker. As I run closer, my eyes land on a gash in his leg, to which only makes me run faster.

My eyes dilate in fear as I watch the soldier retreat his arm, ready to pierce the spear through his heart.

"NO!" I scream, throwing the spear in my hand with all the strength I have left. I watch as it hurdles through the air, and runs right through the soldier as I stand seven feet away. The soldier falls instantly, his body shaking violently as if having a seizure. Gage looks up bewildered at me as I rush towards him.

"I had that one, man," he says, kneeling to the ground to rest.

"Damn! Can't even get a thank you for saving your life? Hmm, maybe I should've just let him kill ya," I say with a laugh, remembering he had said the same thing to me once.

"Shut the hell up," he says, jokingly rolling his eyes as I help him up from the ground. His eyes search the battleground, watching the few who continue to fight. "There's not much left," he says sorrowfully.