CHAPTER SIX

"I wonder what our parents are doing," Logan blurts

"Probably not looking for you," Quinn says jokingly, to which earns him a playful slap by Mia.

"Don't be mean!" She shrieks.

"No, he's probably right. They probably don't even know I'm gone," Logan laughs, his pearly white teeth on display. From behind his frosted crystal eyes, it's obvious he's hurting. His sharp jawline clenches as his broad arms tense under his shirt.

"That's just sad, bro," Sam intervenes.

Logan shrugs his shoulders, "Well there's nothing you can do about it. They never really paid attention to me before anyways."

A small frown takes shape on Sam's face.

"That's why I wanted to leave, because all what they seem bothered with is work, so what's the difference if I'm there or not?"

We all had reasons of our own for wanting to leave. Logan's parents never paid attention or even talked to him so much anymore. Mia and Sam's parents are divorced and are too busy with their new spouse to spend time with them. And me, well...you know why.

The conversation dies off for a few hundred meters, everyone taking in the beauty of our surroundings. Though it's practically the same, tree after tree, it still never fails to mesmerize me.

The wind had died down an hour ago once we started walking, and the clouds cleared out, leaving a blue sky in our view. Though we're covered by the tree branches from the sun, it is still very hot, the heat trapped by the thick leaves. I feel beads of sweat gathering on my forehead, and I lift my hand to wipe them away.

Everyone walks at their own pace, some slower some faster, but we all manage to stay together in one large bunch.

"What do you think it looks like? Their Sectors, I mean," Mia questions, wonder weighted in her tone.

"Overgrown and well...broken, I guess. I've heard that they live in the buildings destroyed by the war," Quinn says.

"I think it might look like a beautiful garden where the people live with the land, where they don't manipulate it or destroy it, but rather let it grow with the people. I imagine it to be a way better, much more beautiful place than the city," I say.

"That sounds nice," Logan says, his mind soaked up in the thought.

"I just hope that when we get there, they don't refuse us, because I've had that nightmare at least twice since we've been gone," Sam divulges.