CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

I couldn't sleep the entire night, the anger and rage I suppressed for so long now finally out of the cage

My blood boils over as I walk briskly to Capital Pier, the sun just rising over the horizon. People crowd all around, restless and infuriated, ready for the system to come crashing down.

This newfound fury within me burns endlessly, my eyes focused forward as those around me cheer and chant over and over again. The people line the streets, either side lined to the brim leading all the way to the court, the earpiece secured in my hand tightly.

I stride up the steps to the court, realizing that this might be the last time my foot ever connects with the stone again. I smile down at the ground, my brain blocking out everything else. All the fear that once took control of my body now drowns in hope and passion for revolution.

Inside, the others stand in a perfect circle, awaiting my arrival. I connect eyes with Quinn for a moment, a large smile overtaking all of their faces as they too, burn inside with determination. I realize that none of them knew about my change of heart, and that's what makes it all surreal. All of their confused looks turned to gazes of happiness and excitement.

Mia and I stare at each other for a moment, then we both begin to laugh lightly as I come to stand next to her, taking her hand and squeezing it reassuringly. Lastly, I avert my gaze to Tate, who watches me with a look of bliss. I take in the appearances of Quinn, Logan, and Sam, realizing that they are dressed in pristine white armor, Patrolmen armor, and I can't help but feel excited.

"The truck is waiting for us outside," Quinn says breaking the silence.

"Wait, what's the plan?" I ask, anticipation building up within me, ready to hear everything I've been missing for the past month.

"Madelynn, you are our acting prisoner, giving us," Quinn gestures between him, Logan, and Sam, "An excuse to enter the headquarters. All of us have been pinned as wanted, so us entering in with you will be no problem. Once we get inside and take you to the penitentiary, Sam will break off from the group to open the back door that is behind the prison cellars."

"How do you know there's a door?"

"I've seen it with my own eyes," Tate declares, and suddenly, it all makes sense to me, this is possible because he's been there, Tate has been there.

Tate takes over, picking up where Quinn left off, "Through that back door, Mia, and a few of my men will sneak in heading towards the security room, where they will disable the security system in the building. Raelynn was supposed to be here to corrupt the system and disable all communication in the city, but she isn't, but that's besides the point. Once that is done, it is your job to find the Governor...and kill him."

It was her, she was the code breaker. "Where will you be?" I ask Tate, pulling myself from that sudden realization.

"Hanging back with the rest of my men, in case things go south before we invade the city." I nod in understanding as he clasps his hands together.

"Alright," Quinn says, placing his helmet over his head, "It's go time."

***

Quinn and the other three hoist themselves up into the back of the truck, guns and pocket knives tucked away in holsters. Mia jumps up into the vehicle, standing next to Sam who holds his helmet tightly in his hands. The engine of the old Marauder army vehicle revs to life, the gigantic tires standing still atop the dirt patches in the worn grass.

I take a deep breath, my eyes averting to everyone one last time. Tate notices the worry beginning to flood into my eyes as I stare up at everyone in the military styled truck. He strides beside me and takes hold of my hand and squeezes it gently.

"Hey," he says softly, "Everything is going to be alright, I promise. I will be with you the entire time," he points to his ear piece. "You can do this." He says, taking hold of my shoulders and pulling me into a tight embrace. I breathed in his scent one last time, burying my face into his chest.

"You can do this," he says one last time, leaning down to place a gentle kiss on my forehead, not caring that everyone else is watching from the elevated platform with wide and confused expressions. "Just press the button once you are ready, the dial on the side can change the channels if you just want to hear one of us at a time," he informs and I nod.

He pulls away from me, walking me the five remaining steps to the vehicle, grabbing my waist and lifting me into the back of the truck with ease. He steps away from the vehicle, taking one last look at all of us and gives a thumbs up to the driver, to which I recognize to be the man who arrested us for trespassing on Damaged ground...Sargent Patel. With that, the vehicle lurches forward, and I can't help but stare at him shrinking in the distance as Gage comes up beside him. Within seconds, the second vehicle identical to our own follows behind.

My earpiece makes a strange beeping noise as suddenly sounds from everyone's microphones floods my eardrum once I press the power button.

I hear Gage's voice first, seemingly talking to Tate, to which their conversation comes through the microphone.

"She will be fine," he says.

"I know."

"Okay...but like what the hell was that?" Sam says jokingly - but not so jokingly - as I turn to face them. They all stare at me as if to say well...

"Yeah," Quinn says, folding his arms over his chestplate, his speech muffled but his voice comes clearly through the earpiece, "Are you both like a thing now?"

I look down to the ground awkwardly.

"Oh give her a break, I think it's the cutest damn thing ever!" Mia squeals, a familiar chuckle sounding through my ears, echoing sweetly in my mind.

"Okay, whatever," Quinn and Sam both playfully roll their eyes and laugh. It's only now that I realize they joke and play to keep their minds at ease. I glance over to Logan who stands and watches out the side of the truck, his gun dangling by his side as his eyes glint up at the city.

I find myself joining him, peering up at the city with determination and slight fear at the uncertainty this event presents us with. Never in a million years would I have guessed to be standing here at this moment in time, returning to a world I swore never to step foot in again. I enter it one last time, this time being that last time I enter it as a Pure.

"Are you ready for this?" Logan asks, craning his neck down to stare at me.

I nod, "I have been ready...for a long, long time."