CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

◉ Tate Torres ◉

Tate Torres

I watch as the truck grows smaller in the distance, my heart beginning to beat rapidly out of nervousness. Gage seems to sense this as he stands beside me.

"She will be fine."

"I know."

The second truck follows behind with considerable distance from the first, everyone inside ready with their guns pulled to their chest.

I turn on my heel, heading back through the entrance of Sector one where a mass of people stands and waits in apprehension. I stand before them, taking in the brave men and women willing to risk their lives for a future they've all been longing to have. Slowly, I watch people step to the side as Ezra makes her way to the front of the crowd.

"Is everyone in hiding?" I ask her as she comes to view.

She nods her head, "Yes."

I told Ezra that all children and people who are not participating were to hide in case an attack were to present itself here. My one main concern was the baby sister, making sure she was safe and out of harm's way for when Madelynn and Quinn returned.

"Alright!" I shout, grabbing everyone's attention, but it seems as if I already had it. "The defectors are on their way to the city. The rest of us will walk to the treeline. Make sure to spread out, creating a wall that extends the length of the trees," I command, drawing out a line with my hand. I take one last breath, and look to the faces in front of me.

"I know this will not be easy, a fight may come our way today when invading the city and if it does we must fight it. Don't lose sight of the victory in the end. Don't forget why you are here, you are here for a future free of separation! You are here to fight for a new beginning! You are here to fight, and don't you ever look back, we can do this, as long as there's hope!" I say, thrusting my gun in the air, and every single person follows, shouting and wailing in excitement.

"They won't know what hit them, because we are a fire they cannot just snuff out! The time is now! Let's go!"

We move through the gates in unison, the marching feet behind me thrusting to the ground on the same tempo. They hold their guns to their chest, the pristine white metal a strong contrast against their black suits. Every man and every woman is dressed in Patrolman armor, but it is painted black. A single circle is painted over the heart, the orange of the shape a sharp contrast. Roman numerals and code characters border the circle, the numbers representing the date the old society falls and the characters having one meaning...we all live as one, forever and always.

The trees in front of us come closer and closer with every step, clearing in front of us soon to be a passionate marching ground as we head towards the skyscrapers piercing the skyline. As we reach the clearing, I peer on either side of me as the men and women spread out along the entire line. Five hundred people in unison lift their masks on their faces, only covering their noses and mouths, the same circle appearing on their masks as well. I lift my own up to cover my face, a wide grin of glory taking over me. The men under the trees appear ready, and I recall someone referring to us as the Midnight Soldiers.

Gage stands beside me, his gun resting on his shoulder as he watches everyone stand around him.

"Where's Malcolm?" Gage asks, suddenly eyeing the empty spot on the other side of me, and it's only now that I realize he's gone.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"You think he chickened out?" He asks, knowing that he's biting back a chuckle.

"Knowing him, yeah."