CHAPTER FOUR

The streets are quiet, no cars or evening voices looming around the roads and sidewalks

The streets are quiet, no cars or evening voices looming around the roads and sidewalks. We stride behind the houses, away from all peering eyes and security cameras set up atop every roof. Our footsteps are steady and slow, our bags slapping against our legs as we walk.

I take in the neighborhood, the one story houses all lined in a perfect row on either side. The bushes in the front all perfectly trimmed the same size. It looks as if the entire street were the inside of a mirror, reflecting one house but creating thousands more in the reflection. No light shines through any of the windows, leaving the night dark only lit by moonlight. Far off in the distance, the marble and quartz buildings stand tall, the evening clouds and stars reflected in the windows.

"How much longer?" Becca asks, falling in step next to me.

"You see that house right there with that light in the window?" I point to the only house illuminated on the vacant street. "That's where we're going."

"Oh, okay!" She says, and remains quiet for the rest of the walk.

Quinn comes to my left side, "Are you sure Mia's okay with us coming over at this hour?"

"Yes," I say.

Her and I have planned on leaving together, we had set up an entire escape plan, we just didn't know when we would be able to use it. We agreed to wait until one of us had a reason to leave, and I do now.

My heart skips a beat out of excitement as I place my foot on the first stone step. This is finally happening. I ball my fist, knocking lightly on the black painted door. Not even a moment passes when the door opens nonchalantly. Mia's face appears around the bend.

With a smile on her face, she says, "Come in."

"Thank you," I state as a small sigh escapes my lips, taking her into an embrace.

She smiles warmly, "I got your message, and our stuff is already packed."

"Our?" I hear Quinn question.

Almost as if on cue, Sam walks quietly down the stairs, taking feather steps to prevent the wood from squeaking. With two bags in hand, he strides closer to us.

"All packed," he says, setting down the bags gently.

"Oh! And I've also contacted Logan to get ready, he'll be here shortly."

Quinn comes close to my ear, surprise clear on his face, his tone dipped in what sounds like hurt, "Wait," he whispers, "You've had this planned? All of you were going to leave?"