CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Tomorrow, the first steps begin

Tomorrow, the first steps begin. The train is scheduled to arrive tomorrow at dawn, each train car full of three Patrolmen, the rest with weapons. They say the weapons include spears, electrical whips, boomerang knives, and guns with just about every type of bullet.

I wake up with this in mind, the fear returning as the days come closer to the rebellion, but all drowns away as I remember a memory from last night. My mind confused whether or not it was a dream...or a reality.

I reach my fingers to my lips softly, the sweetness lingering as my tongue slides across my skin slowly, a small grin taking hold of my mouth uncontrollably. I pull away from that, staring outside where robins rest on the rusted handrails, chirping a soft song to one another. They fly away as someone walks past.

I swing my legs over the side of the bed, my body still weak and half awake to fully register and perform my actions. I open the drawers to the wardrobe as I did every morning, lazily grabbing a folded shirt inside, but before putting it on I stare at my back through the broken glass.

Scars form from just below my shoulder all the way to my lower hip, some cross each other, appearing as strikes of lightning. I place the shirt over my head, hiding the sight I pry my eyes away from.

I finish changing, knowing that a shower is much needed once my shift is over in the large community bathroom every Sector has. Within seconds, I grab my keys and slip on my torn shoes, walking out of my quarter and towards Magecliff with a strange pep in my step.

***

Few people sit inside as I arrive, all talking in low tones as the birds above fly and play with one another. My eyes wander over to the kitchen, no one else behind the counter for the lights that normally gleam over the appliances are turned off, for once I'm early.

I glance back over to the people who sit around a small round table, their elbows resting on the surface as they lean into their arms, dark circles around some of their eyes as they struggle to wake up.

I stride to the kitchen, flicking the lights on and beginning to prepare for everyone else's arrival, grabbing an assortment of dented mixing bowls and old spatulas formed out of used sheet metal. My attention shoots up as another group walks into the hall, and our eyes connect instantly. I expect to see them full of that normal anger and hatred, but they stare back at me with elation, a small smirk on his face as he continues walking on.

It was strange, Tate never once showing his face here this early in the morning, but here he is, his attire fresh and hair groomed with precision. I return to my work, my heart once again doing cartwheels.

In the back of my mind, wonder itches my skull, I can't help but find myself still confused by his sudden change of heart and attitude. One second he's brooding and cruel, the next his facade changes into something unrecognizable. I had so badly wanted to blame it on alcohol, but there wasn't a hint of Moonshine in his breath. In the back of my mind, a thought crosses my mind that has the power to change my whole mood. He's using you to get what he wants, Madelynn.