CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

The men ahead run flawlessly, never stopping or slowing their pace for their muscle endurance is prodigious

The men ahead run flawlessly, never stopping or slowing their pace for their muscle endurance is prodigious. I find myself falling behind, now alone in the field that expands for miles. The grass moves like ocean waves, small insects and bees land on the white flowers that sprout from the ground. Patches of dandelions glow under the sun, the sight peaceful and gorgeous.

The land begins to change once again, the elevation of the hill tough to conquer, but as I do, I'm met with a sight leaving me appalled in my stance. The others stop too, pausing as they breath heavily and stare down at the battlefield below them.

"No way," one murmurs under his breath as we all watch in amazement.

Below the rolling hills and between the treeline, thousands of bodies litter the ground like sticks, their frames dressed in whites and blacks. My eyes glide over the bodies, realizing more of them are donned in white armor than black suits.

The fighting has ceased to continue, smoke rising from the ground and weapons sprinkled in the grass.

"Who won?"

"We did," one answers with a wide grin, he pivots on his boot to face William, who stares at the sight below in boiling anger. "You see that, old man," he points to the battleground, "We won!"

William only scoffs, his face a bloodied mess, it's only now that I realize he's missing a tooth, shattering his once perfect smile.

"Come on, everyone must be back in the Sectors," and with that the bald man with a tattoo winding up his neck and skull rushes forward. He plows through the bodies, weaving his way through every obstacle. Everyone follows behind, but I hang back, frantically searching the rubble, my mind desperately hoping that I don't find his face.

After a moment of searching, a soldier calls after me.

"Madelynn! Let's go!"

I turn my back to the field, running to catch up with the others.

***

Twenty minutes later we make it to the gates leading to Sector one on the other side. A soldier punches in a code quickly on a keypad concealed by thick vines and vegetation. The gates open with a buzz, as everyone picks up their dragging feet and rushes inside.

The path below our feet is covered in seeds and leaves dropping from the hanging trees above. Their boots crunch on the leaves, the fragmented pieces left behind blowing in the faint wind gusts that whip their way through the thick tree cover. The path winds forward, the land flat except for casual descends deeper into the sagging land.

Sargent Patel who is carrying William turns right, leaving the group and heading towards the cells that we were once held in two months ago.

As we stride closer and closer to Capital Pier, garbled buoyancy and cheers echo from around the corner.