CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

The lights above me shine penetratingly bright, growing brighter and brighter with every second as my body threatens to lose consciousness

The lights above me shine penetratingly bright, growing brighter and brighter with every second as my body threatens to lose consciousness. I stare at the man in front of me with dilated eyes, my mind begging over and over again that this isn't real, that this is only a dream. That my eyes are deceiving me.

But it's real. The man who stands over us is real.

My eyes grow glassy as I stare at him, the man who I onced called dad.

Beside me, Quinn stares with animosity at the alienated sight in front of him. His fingers are balled into tight fists, his knuckles white and nails digging into his palm.

William parades down the steps from the elevated platform slowly, his hands behind his back as his eyes glide over our faces auspiciously. The wicked grin never flaters from his face as he strides right for Quinn, who tries to break free from the Patrolman holding his shoulders tightly.

William reaches a hand up to his son's face, caressing it for a moment before lifting it away and slapping him with all his strength. Quinn's head flies to the left as his neck twists painfully upon impact.

"I thought I raised my children to be smarter than this," he chuckles lightly, shaking out his hand and gesturing for the Patrolmen who hold us in place to push us to our knees.

"You're a monster," I howl without thinking, struggling under the grip of the Patrolman behind me who only holds me tighter. He pinches my skin achingly, my nerves screaming and begging for relief.

"Maybe," William states as he strides towards me, passing Sam and Logan who stare back up at him with expressions of revulsion and malice. "I find it funny that you ran from here," he grabs hold of my chin harshly, forcing me to glance up at him as he speaks, "Only to be back so soon." He releases my chin, making a point to jerk my head to the side harshly. My insides burn with fury as he strides back up the steps to his desk, taking a seat and kicking his feet up onto the glass desk with ease.

"Did you really think that your plan was going to work? It was so predictable!" He laughs, leaning back in his seat comfortably. "Well, I guess I had some help," with that, he curls two fingers at something behind us, footsteps immediately sounding on the marble floors.

I crane my head to the side, watching with hatred as a familiar jet black head comes into view from around us. He stands dressed in white, appearing flawlessly as one of them.

"Hey, neighbor," he states, staring directly at me mischievously.

"Malcolm? What're you d-" Quinn says with heavy betrayal laced in his voice, but is cut off from finishing.

"He tipped off our security about your intentions. He agreed to help us in exchange for a new life here," William spins in his chair to gesture out the glass at the thriving life below his window. "Too bad that we don't accept defectors," with that he spins back in his chair and reaches into his waistband to pull out a small pistol. He points it towards Malcolm who stares back in utter shock and newfound terror, within seconds, the room echoes with the piercing sound of a bullet releasing from the barrel of the pistol. He drops to the ground within seconds, his now lifeless body folding unnaturally on the ground, blood flowing from the wound in his chest.

I observe the sight in front of me with sickening fear, at this point my stomach completely gone. The others stare with eyes of betrayal at the body that lies beside them.

William hands the gun to a Patrolman who appears beside his desk. "Clean this mess up," he says heartlessly, pointing to the blood staining the once immaculate marble floors.

He rests his elbow on the arm of his chair, his face resting in the palm of his hand. A fake frown plasters itself on his face as he watches the Patrolmen carry away Malcolm's limp body.

"It's so sad seeing how stupid they really are," he says, "They still haven't learned their place in this world, and it's honestly the most pathetic thing I've ever seen."

I grit my teeth as Sam's jaw clenches, infuriated and ready to break free from his restraints. Logan's crystal blue eyes stare with hatred up at William, his head imagining the satisfaction of holding him in a choke hold.

"Your friends waiting in the Sectors don't know what's coming for them. I hope you said goodbye to them, because you are never going to see them ever again," William's grin grows wider, reaching from ear to ear maliciously.

"Tate," I say under my breath as William's voice echoes in the background. "Tate," I say again, this time with more urgency. But no answer, and my mind instantly averts to the fact that they might already be dead, but I break free from those thoughts.

"Tate, they're coming for you," I warn quietly, but yet again, the other side remains silent.

"Oh look, there they are now!" William points out the window as several helicopters fly past the window, the blades cutting through the air and the engines roaring. Down below, thousands of Patrolmen march in formation, and my eyes widen as they march towards the Sectors.

Finally, I hear his soft tone penetrate through my ear as the army advances forward with impeccable speed towards the Sectors.

"They are already here."