CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

◉ Madelynn Rivera ◉

Madelynn Rivera

"Would you look at that," William states, standing centimeters from the glass as he stares out beyond the hills at the scene that unfolds in front of him.

We all watch in horror from where we kneel, watching as the Damaged rush towards the Pures like a thousand crows attacking their prey. We watch as our blood boils with fury. Far off in the distance, I watch in fear as one by one people drop dead on both sides. Quinn can't take the sight, his hands balled into fists as the veins in his muscular arms bulge.

Within seconds, I watch as Quinn breaks the chain of his restraints with momentum, shooting up from the ground and racing towards William. His balled fist connects with his jaw, knocking him to the ground as he is caught off guard.

"Quinn, no!" I scream as a Patrolman rushes around the desk and forces the back of his gun into Quinn's face, a loud grunt escaping his mouth as he falls to the ground. William stands and fixes his disturbed suit, stepping over Quinn and staring at him with eyes of rage.

William twists his face as he thrusts his foot on top of Quinn's chest with tenacious force, another pained groan leaving Quinn. I wince as I so badly want to break free from my own restraints, remembering that they are fake, but I suppress the urge knowing that I could do nothing but further escalate the scene unfolding in front of our eyes.

Quinn rolls over on the floor, as a single tear drops from my eye. Logan and Sam stare at Quinn, their insides ablaze with hatred and inflammation. The war beyond the glass only grows more gruesome, the echoes from bullets releasing from the chambers of guns scaring the birds from the trees.

William walks around Quinn's doubled over body, peering down at him in disgust.

"You are just like them," he says to him as he strides down the steps closer to where the rest of us kneel. A surge of energy rushes through my veins, my mind screaming at me to kick him in the place where the sun doesn't shine.

"I guess you all were born Damaged," William scans over us, as he walks closer to me once again. "I've had my suspicions about your mother, and I've always wondered if you despicable kids were ever truly my blood, or if that sickening woman engaged in infidelity," William kneels down in front of me, staring me dead in the eye with a coldhearted gaze, voided of all emotion.

"You just can't handle the fact that maybe you're not so perfect as you think you are," I spit in his face, which only earns me a cold slap in the face.

"You don't understand what separates the two species, Madelynn, you can tell a difference."

"What separates the two then?" Logan questions from beside me. William stands once again, walking and stopping in front of him as he begins to speak.

"Ancestry. The men who started the new constitution many years ago studied the ancestry of the people left in the world after the war. Those who hailed from a family of high wealth or fame were labeled elite, better than those who resided in the lower castes. Those people were thrown out for they were believed to cause disruption in a utopian society, and that is very true. They were the ones causing crime rates to skyrocket," William pivots on his perfectly polished dress shoes to stare out of the window again. "Just look at them out there. They have enough determination to destroy cities, they rule with no rules. They're barbaric...savage, such behavior is unpalatable to a utopian society such as this."