CHAPTER THREE

A sudden surge of relief washes over me like a tsunami wave

A sudden surge of relief washes over me like a tsunami wave. As I open the front door I notice his things still absent from their places. His coat gone from the hook and his briefcase absent from the ledge. I let out a long drawn out breath, relaxing my tense muscles.

"There you are! It's about damn time you showed, Dad'll be here within the next thirty minutes!" Quinn begins to scorn as he comes out of the kitchen.

If I don't get a lecture from Dad, I can always count on getting one from Quinn.

"You will not believe what I saw today," the words roll off my tongue without consciously thinking about them, and I stop myself from saying anything more; but I've already said too much.

"What?" Quinn questions, his left eyebrow lifting, skeptical and half expecting what I'm about to say.

I paused, debating whether or not I should lie to cover my ass from his chiding...or if I should just tell him the truth. Maybe telling him about what I saw would go towards my persuasion for us to leave.

"What did you see, Madelynn?" He steps forward, his arms crossed.

I let out a soft exhale, "I saw three men stealing from a food garage."

"Damaged?"

"Yeah," I nodded, "They loaded the crates into their van, but one of them got caught."

"What? Where was he taken?" Quinn asks, sorrow and worry shining through his voice.

Like me, he has never believed in the so-called "difference" between the Pures and the Damaged. It seems like no one even knows what separates them from us, and how someone can be deemed one or the other.

"They-they said to take him to the Governor," I say, recalling the event.

He curses under his breath, and laces his fingers through his hair.

"Who's the Governor? And why is he so feared?" I ask, I've always wanted the answer, but whoever I ask always tells me the same thing.

"I don't know, no one knows who he is, all I know is that he kills any one of those people if they're caught tampering with his facilities."

I flinch at his halting words, shock and disbelief written on my face, but this isn't the first time I've heard that.

"You could have been killed too," Quinn conveys, his tone hard and accusing, breaking me from my thoughts. "If you were caught doing your stupid snooping you always do, you would've been killed without a mercy pleas!"