CHAPTER FORTY

The court is tranquil, the new faces layering the stands watch ahead at the lectern that rests under a spotlight illuminating a circle on the elevated platform

For many, this is their first time stepping into Capital Pier, their minds still in shock as they take in the beauty of the place around them . It reminds me of my first time here. I search the crowd, scanning over each individual face as they wait in apprehension for the trials to begin. Within minutes...they do.

Ezra's flawless ivory skin glows under the fluorescent light as she comes to stand behind the lectern. Her posture is admirably perfect as I take in her new sense of dress. She no longer dons the old black apparel, but instead wears something different...colors.

She holds her hand up in front of the court asking for silence, to which the stands face forward instantly.

"I never thought that this day would come," she begins, "Where I would have the pleasure to speak in front of those who once lived up above." I turn behind me to see all of the smiles that form on the lips of the people. "Never in a million years did I expect to see your beautiful smiles here in my court, but this is definitely something I will remember for as long as I live. We've lost so many people throughout this revolution, but those brave men and women will not be forgotten. They will be celebrated, every single man and woman who died fighting for what they believed in will be remembered for their courage."

Light whistles sound in the crowd as Ezra pauses to take a breath.

"We are free because of them! And I cannot say this loud enough...the broken society has been mended!" Everyone including myself stands from their seats, jumping and cheering to the mention of freedom. "We gather here today to determine the fate of the man who held us all back from that freedom, bring him out here!"

At that, two large men lead William into the court, his face bruised and cut from my fists connecting with it over and over. The people begin to scream again, men shouting vulgar statements as the women glare the man down with burning hatred. The two men lead him to the middle of the court, shoving him down to his knees. William gazes up at the stands with a newfound fear.

I reach a hand up to my ear, readjusting the ear piece for a perfect signal for Quinn listening intently on the other side.

"We have been called together today to determine the outcome for this man who sits before you! He is guilty on the account of murder, abuse, and ruling a dictatorship with malice!" She shouts, pointing to William who trembles on the ground. "It is our duty to sentence him!"

"Kill him!" The people in the stands chant. They repeat it over and over again, their voices clashing into one large voice, people all around joining in every second.

A look of anxiety takes over William as his eyes find me sitting on the first bleacher. He moves his lips to mutter something silently to me, but I turn my gaze away.

"Burn him alive!" Another voice shouts from behind me, startling me immediately.

Then I hear Quinn's voice come through the speaker.

"Make him live the rest of his life as a Damaged. Make him suffer through a life he swore to be barbaric," he says, and at that my insides burn with determination.

"Settle down! Take your seats," Ezra bellows over the crowd, to which they listen immediately like trained dogs.

At that moment, I stand from where I sit with the others.

Tate grabs my hand instantly, "What are you doing?" He asks, staring up at me with emerald eyes full of confusion.

"Giving him a sentence he deserves," I gently resume my walk down the steps into the court area, Tate's hand letting go of mine as a satisfied and proud smile takes over him.

Ezra and I connect eyes for a moment, her mind already knowing what I'm about to do. She remains silent from up on the lectern, watching me as I come to kneel in front of my father.

"You've caused so much pain for the Damaged in this society," I spat in his face, "It's only fair that you live as one of them too, and pay for all of your mistakes."

I stand from kneeling, pivoting on my heel to face the large crowd in front of me. I thrust my hands out from beside me, "He has caused so much distress and oppression to a set of people who were only separated by ancestry! He has killed so many men and women with the snap of his fingers, and it's only fair we give him that kind of fear!" I pivot on my heel as the crowd behind me stand from their seat. "I propose that we make him suffer through a life he swore never to live. Make him live the rest of his life as a Damaged! The only Damaged left on this entire Earth!"

The crowd throws hands up in the air, punching and shouting in agreeance to Quinn's idea. Ezra smirks at me widely, one side of her mouth reaching to her ear.

"My people, please raise the red flag given to you upon entering here today if you believe that this sentence does not suffice for Mr. Rivera."

I avert my gaze high above the courtroom, no red flags are raised.

"Thank you," she says, "Please raise your green flag, if you truly believe that Mr. Rivera deserves to live a life of such misery."

I watch as slowly, one by one the green flags illuminate the crowd, every single person standing from their seats raises that green flag, and they raise it with pride.

"Very well, William Rivera, I hereby sentence you to a life of the Damaged. Enjoy it while you can, trust me when I say it was not easy," she says, vile and poison in her tone as she speaks.

The two men return and lift William from the ground, his face expressionless. I connect eyes with him as he passes, and I stare him down with a fake frown.

"This court is adjourned!" With the slamming of her hammer, the crowd runs wild.