CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

The setting sun rays penetrate the fractured walls, the way they always did, yet, I still find myself every evening staring in awe at the fluorescent beauty laced in each ray

The setting sun rays penetrate the fractured walls, the way they always did, yet, I still find myself every evening staring in awe at the fluorescent beauty laced in each ray. The crickets begin to chirp as the world outside grows dark. After the attacks, everyone was given a single candle for their quarters, meant to light the space in case another attack were to happen at dusk.

I watch the candle flame dance through the small wind gusts that weave through the walls. The flame bounces left to right, my occasional breath threatening to kill the flame completely, but it always comes back. I stand from my bed, placing the candlestick back on the holder it came with, finding my way back slowly. The light reaches the opposite wall, but only faintly, creating a dungeon-like feel in the small space.

I heave a sigh of relief as I spread the heavy blanket over my bare legs, but I nearly jump from my skin as a pounding knock repeatedly bangs on the metal door. I get up slowly, a part of me skeptical as to whether or not I should open the door. I make my way to the window slowly, peering out of the dirtied glass around the corner to the outside of the door.

My brows furrow in confusion, grabbing hold of the door handle and yanking with all my strength.

"What do you want, Tate?" I ask, agitated at the sight in front of me.

"Do you have a minute, I just want to talk," his tone comes out surprisingly calm, if I was a fool I would say it was almost...genuine.

"Fine," I huff, a small shiver running up my spine from my bare legs.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry," he says, his eyes drained of all anger that usually resides within them, instead they are filled with genuine sorrow, and a part of me stands shocked at the sudden shift of character.

I stand, staring for a while at his face, deciphering if he is palpable, or if he is messing with me, about to turn this meeting into another threat trying to scare me. That look in his eye doesn't change though, leaving me dismayed where I stand.

"So what, you think that just by saying 'you're sorry' that I'm suddenly going to accept that? Think again," I say stepping behind the door to push it closed in his face, but he placed a hand on the metal, halting me in my place.

"Wait, please," he says, his demeanor completely changed.

"What the hell is this, Torres?" I spit, "First you're threatening me, pushing me into the rock wall until my back bleeds, you're following me and staring daggers into my back, then all the sudden you show up here saying 'you're sorry'?" I say, appalled to the intentions of the man in front of me.

He looks the hall up and down to my sudden shouts, making sure no one has peaked their heads out. In seconds, he pushes me aside and forces his way in, shutting the door behind him.

"What are you doing?!" I say, trying to push him back out, but like I said earlier, his body is like a brick wall.

"I'm trying to tell you that I'm sorry, Madelynn," he says, his familiar rudeness beginning to return, but he notices and rushes to fix it. "I realize that I've been vulgar to you out of my own prejudices and ignorance. And I'm sorry for that."