CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

◉ Madelynn Rivera ◉

Madelynn Rivera

I'm awoken by a pounding fist on the metal door opposite from my bed, my body tense as it shoots up from the mattress in startlement.

The fist continues to pound over and over again as I slowly make my way to the door in complete darkness. I don't even bother looking out the window this time, fully prepared to tell off whomever may be standing on the other side.

I grab the handle, yanking the door open in one wide action, "What?" I say, groggy and half asleep as I lean against the door for support.

"I wanna show you something," before I can even think to protest, he grabs my hand and pulls me out of my room. The door slams behind me with my key still inside, to which I silently panic.

But that panic is short lived, for Tate begins to lead me down the jagged steps and out into the open chasm below, where people still stand socializing as they were hours ago.

After the gathering at Capital Pier, I couldn't handle any more of it. The talk of rebellion and not being guaranteed survival. My insides let loose several times, nothing left in my stomach except bile and acid.

"Tate, where are we going? It's late!" I deadpan in protest, trying to break free from his grasp. My nerves were already a wreck, I knew I couldn't handle more of this stress.

I've been at constant war with myself ever since Quinn told me of the plans. My two sides bickering with one another constantly, one never winning over the other but instead staying equal with advantages and disadvantages on both sides.

"I want to show you something really important," he answers, his tone laced with what appears to be adventure and excitement.

"What is it?"

"Just wait, you'll see."

I sigh in defeat, a little flower of ecstasy and euphoria forming at the bottom of my heart. He strides with determination, towing me behind him as I stare at the beauty of the evening sky.

The leaves of the trees are beginning to turn colors. The once vibrant green pigment in the leaves now turning hues of brilliant yellows and amber orange. Some leaves have begun to drop, the chasm floor littered and spotted with wet, crushed leaves everywhere.

Birds chirp on the branches, some of their heads snapping to watch us jog down below. My focus clicks to the night sky above them, the stars shining bright with no clouds to cover them. The moon rests in a half crescent, a shadow casted on the darker half.

I avert my gaze back to the path in front of me, taking in my surroundings with confusion. I scour for something familiar, for something I've seen before, but the sight is completely new.

The walls of the chasm on either side are overgrown with vegetation, thick vines and tree roots grow overhead, creating arches and supports for the trees that grow above. Tate holds back some vines as I pass through, the path continuing on for what seems like miles.