CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

◉ Tate Torres ◉

Tate Torres

Men gather everywhere, standing with gazes of determination as they wait for instruction. The sun barely peaks into the chasm, the morning sky a brilliant shade of oranges and yellows, mixing together like a never ending ombre of color.

The air is calm, but a certain adrenaline lingers in the air. I steal a glance at the large clock hanging by chains behind the lectern stand in Capital Pier, 15 minutes till go time, I say under my breath.

At that moment I hoist myself up the steps to the lectern, my hand coming to rest on the polished wood as I stride around it, staring back at all the men that gather before me. Few women gather too, all here for the same reason.

I clear my throat, "Alright, everybody listen up!' I say, and immediately all attention snaps towards me, eyes of excitement all coming to rest on me. I've never had a problem speaking in front of a large group, but I can't help but find myself trembling a little under the spotlight, my body rigid with motivation to run to that train with all my strength.

"It's 5:45 right now, meaning that the train will be arriving in 15 minutes. I am going to run through the plan again so listen carefully!"

***

We wait under the treeline, the leaves and branches wrestling with one another as small gusts of morning wind whirl through them. The people around me are completely silent, Gage standing on my right as Malcolm stands to my left.

Every time I look to Malcolm, I can't help but be brought back to Madelynn and her concern on behalf of him, but I shake those thoughts away. I've known him since I was a kid, and I know his loyalty lies with us, for there is no way he would have any communication with the other side. He never left our sight whenever we went to the city, never.

Far off in the distance, the ground rumbles as the train heaves forward quickly on the tracks. My legs involuntarily carry me to the edge of the tracks, still hidden in the trees as everyone else remains still in their positions.

"Step one, jump on the train as it appears from under the treeline." I say in my mind, my heart beating as the train chugs closer and closer to the opening of the trees.

I watch intently, the tracks and ground from under me beginning to shake rapidly. I take one look back at everyone hidden underneath the trees, their dark clothing rendering them almost invisible.

"Good luck!" Gage shouts, and I nod a thank you to him, just before turning back. My legs shake in anticipation, and just then the train appears from out of the trees, and I take off running.

My jaunts formulate the sensation of flying as I run alongside the closed boxcars, every few seconds peering over my shoulder searching for an open car or a handle to grab on to. With one last look, my eyes narrow on an open train car, and I immediately lunge for the handle as the car passes me. I hold onto the handle for dear life, using my upper body strength to force my body inside. My eyes widened in sudden shock.