CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

◉ Madelynn Rivera ◉

Madelynn Rivera

The lights flicker on and off as if the power has been cut. The sky lights remain on, but only faintly. I follow behind everyone else, taking in the disarray throughout the building, realizing that it only took seven soldiers to cause such mayhem. I smile to myself at this, remembering William's speech.

My eyes scan the halls as we race towards the elevators to the first floor. Patrolmen are launched against the wall, not moving a muscle. Some of the walls have bullet holes through the plaster and drywall, to which I'm sure sent William over the edge with his one swollen eye.

Up ahead Sam and Logan rush to the elevator, pressing the button frantically in the plate two and three times a second. Their characters stand with urgency, frantic as they occasionally stare down at an unconscious Quinn. When Sam confirmed that he was still alive, a tsunami wave of relief washed over my brain departments. The rest of us approach, a Damaged soldier carrying my mother across his arms, her head dangling freely to the side.

I try not to stare for too long, my mind not wanting to accept the fact that she's really gone. Anger and rage comes to mind as I bite down on my lip, blood flowing from my skin as I glare at William with the look of violence.

Finally, the glass elevator doors open, those with bodies piling inside expeditiously as the rest rush towards the stairs, kicking the door open with brute force. I follow the men down the stairs, watching as they slowly sink below the ground. I rush over to the steps, peering over the side of the railing to see the staircase spiral for what seems like forever.

Damaged soldiers run down the steps furiously down below, some almost to the bottom which I find amazing. Some jump over the railing, dropping to lower levels and grabbing hold of the railing before falling too far. I avoid this fatal stunt, instead rushing down each and every individual step as quickly as humanly possible.

My side begins to ache as I try to regulate my breaths, inhaling and exhaling every other step I take. A minute after everyone else makes it to the bottom, I finally make it, my brunette hair bouncing as I descend the last flight of stairs. They all wait for me, then they bust the door down with their firearms locked and loaded. Some carry backpacks loaded to the brim with extra ammo for their guns.

As the door almost flies off the hinges, they begin to shoot rapidly. Patrolmen rush towards them with acceleration, but they slide forward as their chestplates develop a hole from a bullet. Their bodies surround me as I step beyond the threshold and into the main lobby of the headquarters.

The Pures inside duck behind desks and plants, hiding as their bodies tremble. Others stand paralysed in their place, holding up both of their hands in surrender. The Damaged soldiers connect eyes with them, but leave them be as we stride to the elevators.

As we step in front of the closed transparent doors, they slide into the walls as the platform descends from the ceiling. Logan and Sam rush out first, then the others follow after with the same amount of urgency.