Ukulele

I strummed the strings up and down absentmindedly. He gingerly sat down next to me and pulled a smaller ukulele out of his bag. Mine was a concert, his a soprano.
"That's cute," I said, motioning to the violet Makala.
He laughed. "Thanks. She's my baby." He strummed the simple GCEA tuning.
I shuddered when he hit the C. "You use high C?" I asked, almost disgusted.
"Yeah, you don't?"
Shaking my head, I told him no.
"Hm," he replied.

On this little park bench, we just played chords. Simple chords, ones that every beginner knows. When he started plucking I immediately recognized the song. He was playing Nirvana's cover of "The Man Who Sold The World."

We had only gone out once before. This was just where we were meeting. It was crazy we had both brought our ukuleles.

He stood up and stared down at me. I was so suddenly aware of his beautiful build that I was taken aback. I felt my ears turn red in awe of him.

"Are you ready to go?" Gerard asked.
I nodded and stood up, sliding my uke back into my purse. He set his in the hand that wasn't holding mine. Once again, I blushed.

We trotted off to the beach. Setting our stuff by the sand, we dipped our toes into the water. The sun was just about to go down, its warmth fading away. The water was still warm from the sunshiney activity of earlier.

Gerard stood up. He grabbed my hand. He threw me in.

I squealed. "You are SO going to get it!"
He shook his head, cracking up. "You will never get me!"

I ran out of the water and tackled him, pinning him onto the sand. He flipped himself around to face up at me. I kissed him, gently but surely.
"You win," he mumbled.
"I know."

We ran back into the water, pushing each other in with playful force. We swam around and around in circles, giggling here and there. At the end of the night, he wrapped his jacket around my shoulders, which were shaking now that the sun had completely set.

"I had a great time, Gerard," I said.
"Me too, Y/N."
He kissed me once more, collected our stuff, and we walked back to his car.