Chapter 1: 82194

("To those who have read the manga: Please refrain from giving spoilers because this book is following the manga. By doing so, you aren't just spoiling the fanfic, but the canon as a whole. Thank you"
-- Treb-chan)

Sistine's POV:

I wake up in a small library filled with books. After pushing myself up a little, I find my long, silky, silver hair covering my face. My playful squirming drowns the sound of the opening door, making someone's entrance unknown to me.

"Good morning, Sistine."

I flinch upon hearing my name, turning to... I don't know where I'm looking. The woman giggles and bends down to brush the hair away from my face. Immediately, I am greeted with deep purple eyes and a warm smile. "G-Good morning, Mama..." I respond, a little flustered.

"You fell asleep on the carpet again," Mama comments, making me giggle. "I think you enjoyed the book a bit too much."

"S-Sorry," I stutter, hanging my head a little.

Mama clips my chin and lifts my head, making me meet her sweet gaze again. "Another child is leaving the House tonight. Be nice to him and leave him some good memories."

"Okay!" I reply immediately, smiling at her. After watching her leave, I begin preparing for breakfast.

A while later, I head downstairs and find everyone eating. Guess I overslept... I find a small, empty table and decide to sit there, eating my food in silence. Nobody will notice for sure, especially since there's, what, thirty-nine other kids here?

I don't exactly have many close friends with the older ones, but I think it's better that way. I'm better off with the younger ones, as well as the ones my age....

I lay my belly on the grass and bring out the book I was reading, opening to the page I remember reading last night. I could feel stares on me, though I can't be so sure who it's from.

I find an image of a certain being, though I can't really tell whether it's real or not. A marvelous creature with a mask, seeking to kill humans.

"That looks like a demonic creature..." I hear someone comment from behind me. I turn around and find Francis, my 6-year old sibling and the child that will be leaving today. He turned 6 years old three months ago. So he was the one staring...

I quickly glance at my book, only to close it and turn back to him with a smile. "You're leaving today, huh?" I ask sweetly, trying to change the subject so I don't scare him. "You're finally going to a new home." He flinches, only to nod and sit down on the grass next to me.

"I really don't get why, since I have one of the lowest grades out of the siblings..." he murmurs. "Honestly, I might just end up disappointing my new family."

"Don't say that," I firmly answer, hugging his side. "They wouldn't choose you if they don't love you. So don't say you would disappoint them."

He chuckles and ruffles my white hair, saying, "Alright, fine. I won't. I just wish I was as smart as you so I can make my new family happy."

I lay my head on his lap, staring up at the bright blue sky. "You don't have to be smart to make your family happy, you know." He lowers his head, making me meet his blue-eyed gaze. I reach up to touch his soft, raven black hair. "I mean, we're family, and you make me happy just by being here for me."

He smiles sweetly at me, saying, "You're crazy for loving even the worst of people."

"I know," I giggle, making him laugh as well. We enjoy our laughter for a few minutes until someone cuts us off.

"Can you two stop being so lovey-dovey all the time?"

I watch Francis turn to another child near the tree, smiling nervously and saying, "Sorry, Ray!" He gently taps my forehead as he looks to me again with his gentle smile. "Can you get up, or do you need help?"

I slowly sit up, turning to grin at him once I'm up. "Honestly, you two are so annoying sometimes..." I hear 5-year old Ray comment.

I turn to pout at him, saying, "Just admit it, you wanna do stuff like this to Emma too." Ray growls at me in response, ready to attack, but luckily, Emma comes to the rescue, pulling back Ray.

"Come on, Ray! We're going to the gate!" Emma excitedly says, dragging an irritated Ray towards the gate. Wait....

"I thought we weren't allowed to get near the gate," I utter, turning to Francis. He merely shrugs at my comment, telling me not to worry about it. He flashes me another one of his sweet smiles, which I return without hesitation.

It barely felt like a warning that I would find him dead in front of my very eyes.

"I'm coming with him!" I react, breaking through the sobs and the farewells of the other kids. Francis stares at me in utter shock, baffled about my declaration. "I'm not leaving him!"

Mama sighs, walking to me and bending down to meet my gaze. "Sweetie, Francis has to go. He has a new family now. Don't worry, he'll be sending you letters. You would be in your own family at the right time, perhaps when you're older."

"But-!"

"Sistine." I flinch upon hearing him call my name. I turn to look back at him, back at his soft eyes and warm, comforting smile. "It's okay. I won't forget you. I promise."

Tears begin to well from my eyes, and Francis walks over to hug me. He shushes me repeatedly, trying so desperately to keep my tears at bay. I wipe them off and rest my head on his shoulder for a couple of minutes. We stay like that for a while, until he lets me go.

With that, Francis waves one last goodbye and leaves the House with Mama.

"Where are they going?" I ask Emma, receiving only a shrug from her. I turn to the others, who also don't know where.

Ray, who has been leaning on the wall the entire time, walks over to me and cups my cheek, wiping my tears. "They're probably still walking to the gate. You're probably not late yet."

Despite my blurred vision, I stare deep into Ray's black eyes, searching for at least a glimmer of hope. Despite the absence of hope in his eyes, his statement was enough. With a determined nod, I remove his hands from my face and rush outside all the way to the gate.

I have to see him again, at least one more time.

I see the gate wide open, giving me time to enter. I call out Francis' name over and over again, hoping that he would hear me. My 5-year old voice echoes throughout the area, but I keep walking.

And then I saw it.

The entity from the book and Mama, with petrified eyes staring at me. But more importantly, before me was... Francis' dead body, with a bright red flower pierced through his chest.