Chapter 59: Your Choice

Sistine's POV:

Hours have passed, and not a single word escapes anyone. I can't hear anyone. Not Ray, not Nayla, not Norman... Not even Phil or Emma.

The world is quiet.

And that's enough for me to open my eyes. I sit up and rub my eyes, expecting to find myself in dirt or sand or snow, but instead, I stand in what appears to be a void.

"Ah, you're finally awake," I hear an unfamiliar voice comment, causing me to turn. The small entity floats above the void, cross-legged as many other random things orbit around him. "Pleased to meet you. What's your name?"

"82194," I answer, sitting down in front of him.

"I mean your real name."

"Is that important?" I ask HIM, tilting my head in confusion.

HE stares at me blankly, leaving his emotions unreadable. "Who told you that it isn't?" HE asks me.

"I did," I utter, hugging my legs and turning to the nothingness surrounding us. "After all, it's easy to forget. Besides, 82194 sounds cooler."

"What is the color of your eyes?" I flinch at his question, turning to him with furrowed brows. "What color?"

"Weird question, but okay," I utter before answering, "They're purple. Or at least I think they are. Why do you ask?"

"How peculiar."

"What?"

"Purple, you say?" HE asks. "I'm sure many people see it as purple, too. But my goodness, all I could see is green. Not red, or blue, or even any color near purple. It's just... green."

"... Green," I repeat with a flat look, not taking all his weird shenanigans seriously.

"Envy. The desire of another's possessions," HE rephrases as if realizing my confusion. "Purple is a color for royalty, a color fit for a queen or a princess. However... I don't think the color suits you at all! In fact, it probably would have suited Emma better. That little girl is like a princess with all of her family supporting her!"

"Of course it does," I mutter, unamusedly turning away once again. "That girl has crazy levels of plot armor."

"Ah, and there it is again," HE comments. "That flash of seething green in your eyes. Mix that with red, and you could have killed someone by now. But you don't react so violently, now, do you?"

I stay silent, choosing to ignore HIS question. After all, I'm not in the mood to answer. "You already know what's going on, don't you?" HE asks me.

"Emma sacrificed me. And that's a good thing," I reply. "Go ahead. Kill me anytime you want." Instead of piercing something through my heart, HE lets out a confused noise. I turn to him. "What?"

"She never mentioned such a thing."

"What?" I ask, failing to hide my perplexed expression. "Then why am I here!?"

HE sits in front of me once again, saying, "You're no fun. You realize that, right?"

"Is it because I choose to die any chance I get?"

HE shakes his head. "No, it's because you think you're so important when you don't even do anything to help anyone--!"

"I never said I was important," I shoot back, glaring at HIM.

"I was being sarcastic. Let me finish," HE tells me. I cross my arms above my knees and turn away again, listening to HIM. HE sighs. "You're turning fourteen in a few months, correct?"