Chapter 20: Too Late

Sistine's POV:

As soon as I enter the House, I hear a loud thud. Mama just walked past me a couple of minutes ago, seemingly determined and proud of herself. Being too emotionally ill from what I did earlier, I wearily drag my feet up the stairs.

Honestly, all I could ask for is a nap.

The door kicked to the floor brings me back to my senses, and I feel the wind from Ray and Don zoom past me as if there's an emergency. Caring less about my physical condition, I turn around and run as fast as I can, trying to catch up to them.

What happened while I was away...?

"What's going on?" I ask, managing to reach Don.

"It's Mama. She's going to stop Emma and Norman!" he replies in a panic. "S-... Dang it, what's your name again?"

"Doesn't matter," I tell him. "Tell me what I have to do."

"Can you get to her?" Don asks. "Mama doesn't know you're with us. She might be forced to act and keep the secret."

"I'll try." In an instant, I dash past Ray, running as if my sickness wasn't even there.

It doesn't matter.

If I don't make it in time, who knows what could happen.

One of them could get hurt, or even worse, killed.

I can't let that happen!

I was too late to save Sister Krone. I can't be late now!

And yet...

... I am.

There's Emma, in utter anguish, on the grass, with a leg that was snapped like a twig.

There's Norman, speechless, with his horrified blue eyes. Like he's staring at the image of death itself.

And then there's Mama, comforting Emma as if she wasn't the one who caused the injury. As if she never did anything to hurt anyone. Mama, playing the role of a mother, a caretaker, an angel.

"The headquarters just contacted me." That's all I could hear from what Mama has said. I could have cared less, if I were the same person that I was all those years ago.

But I'm not.

And now those words... are just the worst things I could ever hear from her.

"Congratulations, Norman," Mama says with a smile. "Your shipping date has been decided."

... Reality is cruel.

Once again, I'm too late.

I hide in a bush in attempts to calm myself down. This can't be happening. Norman, of all people? The collection of goods for the Tifari hasn't even started! Why Norman!? He's the smartest! Mama knows that! Why...? Why him?

"She took our ropes..." I hear Don start in despair, making me eavesdrop on their conversation, "Norman's about to get shipped... Emma has a broken leg and can't move... The plan was for us to complete the investigation and to prepare the escape soon... but what now!?"

Frustration evident in his raised voice, Ray reacts, "We'll make sure Emma's leg gets better as quickly as possible. We can make new ropes too. We'll manage to escape, and I'll make sure we do!

"But right now, we need to focus on Norman."

"But why... why Norman, of all people?" Gilda asks, finally saying what's been on my mind. "It's not like they found out about our plan, right?"

"Yeah, it's weird!" Don agrees. "If higher scores equate to higher quality, shouldn't be Mama be concerned about saving Norman for last?"

... Hold on.

That question...

... What if it's because it was chosen by one of high position? By someone above the headquarters? Grandmother surely wouldn't agree to ship the best of the best in a normal schedule, so it can't be from the headquarters itself.

... Could it be Leuvis?

I have to find out.

In an instant, I emerge from my hiding place and rush into the House, hearing behind me the petrified shrieks of my two siblings. I climb the stairs in a rush, careful not to run into any of the kids.

"Mama!" I call out, bursting into her room, wheezing. I lean on the door frame for support, breathing heavily.

"Sistine?" Mama mutters in suprise, walking over to me to support my weakened body. "What's wrong? Are you alright?"

"Can..." I huff, catching my breath. "Can I... C-can I talk to Leuvis, please? Through... through the radio... please..."

Based on just that, Mama already knows what I need to ask. For the sake of reassuring me, she gently kisses my pale forehead, saying, "Of course, dear. But there's no need to worry anymore, Sistine. You can rest.

"They've got nowhere else to go."

(Later that night...)

Norman's POV:

I sit in silence at my bed, thinking about what I can do to make use of this situation. As much as I want to live, I can't. I know I can't. Not when there's an entire army against me out there...

I'll be dead by tomorrow night. That's all there is to it. I might as well make it count.

I stand up and reach a hand towards my drawer, pulling the handle. All I find inside is a notebook, something wrapped in a piece of cloth... and a pen.

"... What is this?" I ask, picking up the pen, wondering why it's here.

I turn to the notebook, taking it and opening it. There, I find many different kinds of information about this place. Information that seems to be from outside this plantation. Who could have possibly... Sister Krone, maybe...? Could this be hers?

At the middle of the page, the last page with any written content, it says the following:

"I'm sure you'll be able to memorize this. I want you to use this and keep that memory for the sake of the kids in this plantation. Don't even dare to bring it with you. I don't want Mama finding out about this. Feel free to use the rest of the pages on your last day. I'm sure you'll need it.

"Meet me at the wall tomorrow, as soon as you start your investigation.

"-82194."

... Who is this person?

The moment we're released to play, I take the ropes and rush towards the wall. I tie it to a branch and, through simple calculations, make my way up. I make sure to get some distance from the plantation before stopping to take the view.

On the other side of the wall...

... is a cliff.

A cliff that we can't escape from.