Chapter 12: "I'm Stopping Me"

Sistine's POV:

The three of them seem to be making good progress. Ever since Carol and Sister Krone arrived, they've already located the trackers and a way to train the kids without them knowing: through Tag.

I swear, those guys really are geniuses...

As they're playing, I'm just lying on my belly, reading a book. Nayla's playing with them, so it can't be helped that I'm alone.

I could talk to Ray right now, since he's behind me. But...

... I guess I just don't want to be in his way again.

Upon finishing a page, I tear my eyes away from my book. Ray's teaching the younger ones how to use their minds in escaping. The thought alone that he can manage to get along with others, it...

... makes me happy. It's cute.

Suddenly, he flinches and looks around in a rush, asking, "Hey! Where did she go!?"

"Who?" Mark asks, but Ray doesn't bother to answer, running off in a snap.

And who knew that the game would change as soon as he returns.

"Sistine!" I hear Sister Krone say, making me turn to her with an irritated, crooked smile. I was reading what the heck... "You're joining too!"

"Uhm, pass," I reply, making her pout and put her hands on her waist.

"Come on, it's for your own good. You need to be more athletic," she convinces.

"I-!"

"Sistine! Sistine!" Nayla says, standing next to Sister Krone and waving her arm. "Let's play! I wanna see how long you can last!"

Hearing her curiosity, and the mere fact that she remembers me... I suppose I can adjust.

"Okay then," I say, making Sister Krone's creepy smile wider. "I'll play."

"You serious?" Ray asks me. "Or are you going to go hide at home like last time?"

"Look, you guys are playing a mix of Hide and Seek and Tag. It can't be helped."

"Hiding at home was literally against the rules." Ray's frown deepens, but I still remain nonchalant.

"I must have overlooked it."

"No, you did not!" He was about to attack me, but Sister Krone held him back with her arms.

And for once I'm actually thankful for her.

"Now, now, you two, must you always fight?" Isabella asks, making me lower my head.

"Sorry, Mama," I utter softly. She quickly pets my head before heading inside.

"The time limit is 20 minutes," Sister Krone begins to explain. "I will be it." Her usual dominant smile creeps up her lips as she says, "Everybody, make sure you get away from me."

As she began counting to ten, everybody runs off in different places. Nayla seems to have learned where she has to run, so I let her be.

Meanwhile, there was only one place I plan on running. She would surely find my little treehouse, so hiding there would be a horrible idea.

... the garden it is, then.

(Some time later)

Sister Krone's POV:

"Amazing! Norman and Ray beat Sister Krone! They must be so smart!" I hear one of the kids comment once I'm almost done with my thinking.

"Of course they are! They get perfect scores every day!"