Chapter 11: Krone and Carol

Sistine's POV:

"This is 82194 from Plant #3, reporting to Mama," I utter through the portable radio Mama gave as a gift. I keep my voice as low as possible so that none of the three perfect-scorers find me.

Then again, I'm hidden inside a tree.

"Current situation, the two suspects have obtained rope made of cloth. Based on their limitations to resources, I can only assume that they didn't make it themselves. Seems more like they made it out of the table cloths in the storage room."

"Despite that, I highly suggest that you don't lock the storage room. It gives us a chance to trick them into thinking that they wouldn't get caught."

I rub my tired eyes, my voice still broken from crying earlier. I try to keep my composure as much as possible.

I can't worry Mama.

"The suspects are planning on taking all of the children with them. Based on how the outside world works, we both know that's impossible. They'll get caught in the end, so it's surely nothing to worry about."

"Where are the ropes located?" Mama asks, finally speaking up.

"Well, Ray is here, too," I answer. "I'll leave that up to him. He's the one speaking to Emma and Norman directly, so he knows it better than I do. I'm sure he'll tell you at some point."

"... Sistine, are you okay?"

I instantly recoil at her question, answering defensively, "Wh-! Of c- of course I am! Mama, what kind of person do you take me for?"

"You're stuttering."

"Am not!"

She giggles at my reaction, saying sweetly, "If you say so. But please tell me if something's wrong, alright?"

"I will..." I utter softly, and Mama hangs up.

For the past days, Mama had been giving chores to Emma, Ray, and Norman. I knew Mama was trying to hold them back from making progress, but I felt pity for the other two kids with them.

Why did she drag Don and Gilda into that...

Honestly, I feel really bad. Mama didn't assign me to join them, since she needed my help in taking care of the other kids. I really want to, though...

"Sistine?"

My zoning-out cuts off like a string. I realize how long I've been staring at the window of the unused rooms from outside. I turn to Nayla, who is staring at me worriedly.

"Sistine, are you okay?" she asks, concern lining her tone. "You look really pale. Did something happen?"

I shake my head, saying, "I'm fine, Nayla. I just..." I take my white hair and style it into a low braid, using it as an excuse to fidget on something. "... can't seem to concentrate lately."

"Why?"

"I don't know, either." She leads me by the sleeve and runs to the House. "Where are we going?"

"Back home," Nayle says with determination. "You need to rest. Mama has an announcement to make tomorrow, so you need to be ready to hear that."

Mama has-... since when?

Oh.

Ohhh, I see.

She smiles warmly at Norman, saying to us children, "Allow me to introduce them." She looks at the yawning baby in her arms, gently poking her cheek. "This is Carol, one of your new siblings."