Chapter 49: Kill or Be Killed

Sistine's POV:

A normal day ensued, for once in my life. I had woken up Nayla and the children, as well as had breakfast and a shower. All I had to do left was take my last test.

"Age 13. Type 5." The robotic voice promptly instructed, "Please answer every question within ten seconds. We will begin now."

Bar codes were scanned, and I tried to ignore the curious whispers of my other siblings. Unfortunately, I was the only one taking the fifth test. I had no idea if this had something to do with my position as the eldest, but it didn't matter.

In ten seconds, my last test ended.

I let out a heavy sigh and removed my headphones, looking up to meet Nayla's gaze. She gave me a wide grin and a thumbs up, to which I return the latter.

"What's with the fifth test?" The eldest male, Justin, asked me, making me turn to him.

I merely shrugged. "Beats me."

"Your screen's still glowing."

"Wha--!" I turned to it immediately, sighing in relief upon realizing that it isn't a sixth test. However, it showed the words "Meet me after class".

"I'll be returning your exam scores," Ma'am Evelyn, my caretaker, announced, causing all of us to turn to her. "Sistine, Justin, Amanda, and Nayla." She lifted our test papers, exclaiming. "Incredible job, the four of you! You each got perfect scores again!"

Everybody's reactions were either out of relief, awe, or frustration. "How come Nayla's the only one who gets perfect scores among the youngest!?" Some of her siblings whined. "It's not fair!"

Nayla let out a little giggle, turning to me to see my reaction. As I suspected, a relieved smile crept up my face, which made her all-the-more happy. Honestly, I'd never felt so much comfort in a long time. Not having to become a spy, I was being treated like a  normal sister. Nearly everyone here remembered my name, even Ma'am Evelyn.

I didn't have anything to hide anymore.

"You wanted to speak to me, Ma'am Evelyn?" I blurted out, walking over to the woman tidying papers on her desk. By then, all of the children had gone to play, leaving me and the adult in the room.

"You're really not gonna call me Mama, are you?" She asked, visibly irked by my persistence.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I just got used to saving the term for the new Grandmother."

"Speaking of her," she muttered, putting away the papers on her desk. "Grandmother wants to meet both of us at Headquarters. I'm sure you wouldn't miss such an opportunity to see your Mama."

"How are you gonna get out, though?" I asked her. "What about that microchip thing on your chest?"

"Grandmother temporarily disabled it. No need to worry."

"If you say so..."

Ma'am Evelyn excused me and herself before the children ran outside to play. As we departed for the HQ, I noiselessly signaled Justin to keep his radio with him. I swore to contact him if we needed to execute the escape.

Eventually, we arrived at the meeting.

Swarms of women stood before her, leaving me with my stupid height problem. I struggled to jump and tried to see Mama, but to no avail.

I can only rely on my hearing, then.

"Even after all the competing and kicking others down to become Grandma... we're just livestock to them," Mama told us. "You already know by now. There are no chances here. Just an endless living hell. You've known but just didn't want to acknowledge it.

"This obedience has no future."

I flinched in shock upon hearing her words. I looked up to meet Ma'am Evelyn's distant stare, realizing that what she's saying is true.

All this time I believed that, if one becomes a Mama, her freedom is secured. She gets to live longer than everybody else. Even I have considered striving to be one, at some point. But it does nothing.

All it makes you is a murderer.

So that's the choice every girl in Grace Field has to make. It's kill or be killed. Die innocent or die a murderer.

"I'm not going to let anyone rule over me anymore," Mama decided. All of the staff seemed to consider joining her. The sound of metal was heard across the room. "What about you ladies?" She asked. "What's your answer? Are you still scared of death? Do you want to keep living in fear?

"If you want to blow the whistle and report me, go ahead. I won't stop you. I'm not forcing you. If you want to just watch, be my guest. But... if you stand with me...

"... I'll show you something very interesting."

Little by little, the crowd became thinner and thinner as each woman in the crowd picked up a gun. Even Ma'am Evelyn seemed to join in on the fun. Eventually, I was the only one keeping my distance.

Mama noticed that immediately, for she turned to me and held out her gun for me to take. I took one step after another, stopping as she placed the gun in my hands. "Is it heavy?" She asked me, to which I let out a little snicker.

"I can manage," I replied, cocking the gun with a smile on my face. I stopped smiling upon feeling heavy stares near me, and it caused me to slowly turn and meet the frightened stare of the other caretakers.

"Grandma, why is a child here?" One of them uttered, to which Mama only smiled.

She placed a hand on my head, saying, "I insisted on bringing her with me. After all, she's carried an equal hatred towards Peter Ratri for quite some time now."

"So you noticed," I commented, sweat forming on my temple as I avoid looking at the confused adults.

"Besides, she was meant to be trained as a Mama two years ago," Mama continued. "We might as well show her how it feels to become a Mama."

And so, here I am, standing before Peter Ratri, with people surrounding and guns pointed towards him and him alone...

... With each human ready to end this game once and for all.