Chapter 28: First Obstacle

Ray's POV:

"This is it!" Emma exclaims, rapidly flipping pages of the book. "I remember reading about it in this book... the story of those snakes!" she mumbles in panic, "Ugh, I can't remember the details, hold on..."

So she really was thinking the same thing! But what was it called...

... I got it.

"Are you talking..." I utter, asking her, "about 'the snakes of the Alvar Pinera'?"

"That's it!" Upon reaching the page, she quotes the book. "'The deep sea cave known as Alvar Pinera turned out to be the nest of terrifying, poisonous snakes. The countless snakes intertwined with each other as if they were tree roots... and as if they were a single organism. They surrounded the walls all around us.

"'The terror made the treasure by our feet feel all the more beautiful. Are these snakes protecting the treasure? Or did they simply use the treasure to bait us?' --from Chapter 3 of 'The Adventure Log of Ugo'.

"Similar, right?" Emma asks me. "A cave... treasure... snakes... It's all talking about this tree!" Emma shoves the book close to me convincingly and hopefully. "This book was truly meant to be a guidebook for us!"

I hesitate for a bit, unsure if this is intentional or just coincidental. "Hold it, Emma," I tell her. "It's true the two stories are similar, but..." I trail off, trying to think of a way this could go wrong.

Then again, this is the guy we're looking for... and Sistine seems a bit overprotective of this book ever since she found out about the Secret...

"... Well, I suppose it's possible. Let's give it a shot."

Emma gives me a determined smile. "Yeah! If the book really is a guide for us, then the only way for this tree to attack us is..." She holds everyone back for a bit, saying, "Everybody back up a bit!" I remove my backpack and get my mug, getting ready to find out the truth about those snakes.

The roots.

They have no nose or eyes. Which means... there must be a way... they use to locate their prey!

I throw the mug directly at the roots, who touch it with their tip and attack it mercilessly. "Alright! It uses touch!" Emma and I exclaim, grateful that our guess was correct.

It's not heat, sound, or even vibrations of the ground. These things can only find us if we touch the tip of its root! And these movements... Everything makes sense if you think about it. How those animals got attacked... and how we need to get out of here.

Damn... it's amazing how much of a difference a clear mind can make.

Observe. Analyze. Read the enemy. That's what Ugo consistently did in the book, too. Watch, think and make yourself a way. We don't know, but we can learn.

This is the one good thing about us being humans.

"Emma," I call out. "As you said before, this thing... is probably 'the snakes of Alvar Pinera'."

"Right?" she asks me.

The first thing we have to do is make sure our siblings calm down and know that it's safe. Everybody is beginning to panic as the roots come closer and closer. Everyone's afraid for their lives.

So we have to prove that it isn't scary.

As the eldest, Emma and I step out. I'm sure everyone thinks that we're committing suicide by letting the roots reach us. However, the roots don't harm us at all. The reason? Simple.