Chapter 80: My Happy Ending

(June 11, 2050)

Ray's POV:

I stare in silence at the envelope in my hands, tracing the familiar handwriting with my thumb. From time to time, my eyes glance at the blonde on the screen, who is answering the last equation I helped her with.

For the rest of January, I didn't see Sistine anywhere in the residence. I've tried asking Ayshe, Mister Ratri, everyone concerning Sistine's whereabouts, only for them to say nothing. Her parents disappeared after dinner, while the last time everybody saw Sistine was in the garden.

What worries me the most is that Floof wasn't with her.

Sistine always had Floof with her, and it scared me a lot when I saw Floof with Emma instead.

It's like she just disappeared without a trace.

It's been five months since we moved into the town Mike Ratri reserved for us, and to this day, I'm still desperate to know about her condition. I may have stopped asking, but the question is still there.

What if she's already gone? And her parents simply hid it from me because Sistine requested it?

Although I don't want to think about it, the possibility still haunts me.

"How's Floof?" I ask Ayshe, to which the girl lifts her head. "Is she with you?"

"Yep," the blonde mutters, turning to her homework once again. "She's still frustrated that she left Sistine alone."

"Oh." Silence holds once again, while I'm left to wonder how Sistine's doing. Soon enough, the clock strikes twelve, signaling the white-haired girl's birthday.

"She's at 85/15," Ayshe whispers, causing me to turn to the screen. "In case you were wondering."

"... How long have you known?" I whisper.

"Her last checkup was just mailed today. It's better than the 90/10 she started with when she was sent to the hospital, but her chances of dying are still high."

"What happened to her?" I ask her, having a feeling in my gut that she knows what's wrong. If there is anyone who knows what's going on, it's her. It has to be her.

Ayshe raises an unamused brow at me, letting out a sigh after seeing the pensive look in my face. "Stress-induced cardiomyopathy," she says. "Have you heard of it?"

"Broken heart syndrome?" I react, my racing heartbeat desperately drumming in my ears.

"A more... severe version of it." She closes her textbook and focuses on the screen. "The doctors said there's physically nothing wrong with the heart itself, but because of the combination of stress and her lack of physical stamina, the sickness developed into something more fatal. When they tried using the medicine for Lambda, Sistine's condition dropped to a scary 98/2. It's only a miracle that she's still alive.

"In reality, the doctors still don't know where the violent blood coughing came from. It surely wasn't from Lambda experiments, since she never went there in the first place. It can't just be stress and weak stamina, either, because if it was, then the condition would still stay the same. I can only guess it's because of her suppression of emotions."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion, and I ask her, "How is that possible? She has you, her parents, and Floof. She tells you guys everything, doesn't she?"

Ayshe lowers her head, her braided bangs hiding the mark on her eye. "There are some things in this world that we never tell anyone. It just so happens that the secret she's hiding is the memory hurting her the most."