Chapter 63: Hair Tie

Sistine's POV:

"I'm truly sorry if your roommate might not be around often," Mister Ratri tells me, opening the door to my new room. "He's rarely ever home, always busy and rarely ever makes it to his bed. He either collapses on the floor or can only reach the living room."

I glance at Carol, who has been hugging Floof and following me around for the past few hours. It's kind of cute to see her waddle around with Floof like she's a human-sized doll, considering the owl is nearly the same height as Carol. Either way, both of them have been looking at me weirdly.

"It's alright, Sir," I assure, giving him a content smile. "Will it be alright for Carol to stay for a little while?"

"It's more than alright," he chuckles, walking away. "Just make sure to escort her back to her room."

"I will." As I close the bedroom door, Carol lets go of Floof and waddles inside the room, flopping on the bed beside mine and giggling. "Hey hey hey! Stay in my bed. Let's not ruin the roommate's bed. He might get mad at us."

After Carol jumps from one bed to the other, I clean up my roommate's bed just so that he doesn't suspect a thing. I just got here. I need to make a good first impression.

Isn't it awkward to have a male roommate, though? Well, I guess Mister Ratri never considered it because, as he said, the guy is almost never home. Maybe he thought it wouldn't bother either of us.

Or maybe he just overlooked it.

"Sistine, where's your hair tie?" I turn to Carol with a hum, finishing off my neat masterpiece. "Your hair tie. The purple one with your name on it?"

"What?" I ask, sitting down next to her. "I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about--!" My hand instinctively covers my mouth, and my eyes lower upon realizing what she's talking about.

"Sistine?" Carol asks, tilting her head in confusion.

I left it at Grace Field.

I rush to my bed and flop my face on my bed, muffling my exasperated screams. "Aaaaahhhh, and I really liked that one, too!" I shriek, kicking my feet and punching the pillows in frustration. "I made that thing!"

"Did you lose it?" Immediately, my eyes snap wide open. Shoot, did I say that out loud!? Did she hear me!?

"Oh, it's, uh... It's not the same as the one you know," I lie, trying to calm myself down, "but I did have one with my name on it. It's a shame, though, because I made that hair tie, and it means a lot to me."

Carol grumbles in suspicion, causing me to prop myself up. "What?" I ask her.

"Nothing," she snickers, cuddling the owl in front of her.

I reach up to pet her head, saying, "You know, whoever is the Sistine you remember, I'm sure she's very proud of you."

"But that's you."

"No, it isn't," I snicker, pinching her cheek. "Haven't I been telling you that for the past few hours now?"

"But you're lying!" She whines, breaking free from my grasp and burying her face in Floof's feathers.

"I am not!"

"Yes, you are!"

"No!"

"Yes!!!"

I pout at her, to which the little girl pouts back. In all honesty, ignoring the hair and eye color, it's like I'm arguing with a younger version of myself.

This might take a while.

Ray's POV:

After what felt like days of searching, we finally returned home. My legs seemed to give up on me as soon as I reached the living room. I collapse on the crimson sofa, grunting in pain.

"You okay?"

I glance at the blond sitting beside me, and I sigh. "Where on Earth are they?" I ask him. "Are we seriously going to search the entire world because of these two?"

"It's not their fault that they were teleported somewhere else in the world," he replies. "I don't think Emma wanted that."

"Yeah, but why was Sistine involved!?" I snap, gripping my head in frustration. "I swear, if I find out that Emma listened to her and sacrificed Sistine, I'm gonna--!"

"Hey!" He cuts off, placing a hand on my shoulder to snap me out of it. "Calm down. Emma wouldn't do that. You know her. She wouldn't do such a thing--!"

"And what if she did?" I ask furiously, turning to Norman. "Huh? What if Emma sacrificed Sistine just so all of us could be free? Ever thought of that? And if you did, do you think Sistine deserves that!?"

"Ray..."

"Look, just..." I take a deep breath, turning away and covering my eyes with my hands. "Sorry. Forget it. We're gonna find them. We have to. I'm not resting until we do."

"...  I'll give you some time alone," Norman utters, placing a hand on my head before walking away to his room. "And please, get some rest. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for them." I huff in frustration, staring at the fireplace in front of me as the sound of footsteps fades away. The dancing flames soften my expression, calming me down to leave me with my own thoughts.

She was just with me a few days ago, holding my hand and smiling so innocently, like I did nothing wrong. Like she never got hurt. Like I never did anything to hurt her.

Although everyone's focus was on Emma, Sistine was all I could think about. I couldn't even participate in their little heartfelt speech about Emma's hard work and dedication. I was worried about her. Where is she? Is she okay? What happened to her bullet wound? Was she able to get help?

What if Emma really did as she said? What if she lied, and the Promise needed a reward?What if Emma chose to sacrifice her, just like she said?

I can't ever forgive myself if she disappears. I can't even forgive myself for hurting her all those years ago. How could I... after everything I've done?

I have to find her. I still have to make it up to her. She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve any of this.

She needs someone by her side. It doesn't have to be me, but...

She needs someone.

"Carol, stop giggling...!" I hear a familiar voice hiss in a whisper, snapping me back to reality. Carol's giggles echo in the halls, causing me to turn. "You might wake someone up!"

As the little ginger races in the hallway, a white-haired girl with a purple scarf behind her causes me to stand up. Caring less about the pain in my legs, I get up as fast as I can and dash out of the living room. "Sistine--!"

I turn my head, and the two girls are out of sight.

Was it... just my imagination?

With my legs failing me, I lean on the entryway of the living room and slide down, collapsing on the floor. My eyes start to grow heavy after searching for three days straight. Hugging my knees, I pull down my sleeve to stare at the purple hair tie wrapped around my wrist. I stare at the stitched golden lettering on the ribbon, gently tracing it with my thumb until I fall asleep.

I hope she's doing okay. That's all I can ask for right now.