Chapter 78: Beyond Destiny

Ray's POV:

I stare at the ginger with wide eyes, caring less about the people who rush towards her immediately after. The way she stares at us is as if she remembers us, but I could be seeing things. Close to being rendered speechless, I could only mutter, "There you are."

"Emma!!" Phil calls out, while Gilda covers her mouth in shock. They hastily hold her in their arms, with everybody exclaiming in joy.

"Emma, we're glad you're okay!" Violet says with a relieved smile. "We've been looking for you!!!" Alicia calls Emma stupid, with Jemima crying and asking her how she could disappear all of a sudden.

"Um..." Emma utters, inching away from all of us in fear. "... Who are all of you?"

... What?

"Huh?" Don and I utter, but my eyes remain focused on Emma. Sweat is forming on my cheek and neck, my brows furrowed in confusion and disbelief.

Is this true?

"No way..." Gilda utters.

This can't be true.

"But she doesn't have the numbers on her neck!" Gillian reacts. Violet gets confused, asking if she isn't Emma.

"No..." Don utters, disheveled, and unable to accept this defeat. "We thought we finally found her... She looks just like her, though."

I stared warily at the girl's actions, finding the eye necklace in her hands. That was the only evidence I needed. Gritting my teeth and averting my gaze in frustration, I tell them, "No, this is Emma." I take a few steps closer to the ginger, asking, "You lost your memory, didn't you?

"I want your family," I remember Emma quoting. I wanted to trust her, and I did, but...

... Because of what I did, she's gone. Every fight, every laugh, every memory she has with us... disappeared, just like that.

"Her family really was taken away from her," I utter, trying my hardest not to cry in front of the girl staring fearfully at me. "Separated from us... and not only that. Her memory and all of the connections with us were taken from her." I lower and grip my head, frustrated at her... and at myself, for believing her lie.

She was always lying for everyone's happiness. I hated that habit of hers, even from the start.

Emma never told us when something was hurting her or when something about her well-being was in danger. She would always give a bright smile and simply say "I'm okay" or "Don't worry about it".

I hate it.

I hate her.

But at the same time, I don't. Not in a bad way, at least.

I just wished that she would put some faith in us. She keeps on telling us to trust her, but when it comes to her life, she couldn't trust us.

It's unfair.

It's frustrating.

And I hate it.

"No wonder we couldn't find her," I grunt.

"No..." Lani utters in horror. "Emma..."

"That was the reward..." Phil says in realization.

Tears streaming down his face, Don seizes Emma's shoulders. "You can't be serious!!" He yells though it was more desperate than angry. "What the heck? It's true that we're alive in this same world. It wasn't a lie. You weren't sacrificed, but...