Chapter 60: Just Like You

Sistine's POV:

"What's your Choice?"

"...

"... I want to leave them behind."

The distant sound of pattering rain brings me back to my senses, causing me to slowly open my eyes. I find Floof perching on the bedside cabinet in front of me. Slowly sitting up, I let the blanket fall off my shoulder as I rub my eyes and stare at the gloomy, rainy sky.

All of a sudden, the door creaks open, the light from the other room smoothly piercing the darkness. I look over my shoulder before completely turning around to stare at the man at the door.

"Oh," he utters, suddenly bursting into excited laughter. "Ashley! Ashley, get over here! He answered our prayers, Ashley! Look!" I stare at the man who excitedly rushes to me. Even though I can't see the color of his eyes, the sparkles in them are undeniably there. Both of us seem unable to find the words to say.

Not long, Ashley enters the scene, causing me to look over the man's shoulders to see her. Tears are streaming down her face as she rushes inside the room. She holds my hand with both of hers, clasping them like it means the world to her.

"Thank you, Lord..." She sobs, a crooked but grateful smile forming on her face. "Thank you for giving us another chance..."

The man on my right takes my other hand, asking me, "What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Huh...?" I mutter, staring at him with teary eyes.

"Surely 82194 isn't your actual name," he chuckles. "Unless, of course, it is. We could always give you a new name if you don't have one. Do you?"

"S-..." I hesitate for a moment, staring at him as he looks back in confusion. Tears form in my eyes, and soon enough, they start coursing down my face. I don't know why I'm crying, but I guess I'm just... scared. That he'll forget it like everyone else did.

"Awh, sweetheart," he whispers, giving me a warm embrace. He gently strokes my back. "It's okay. It's okay, sweetheart. You're safe here. We'll take good care of you, okay?"

For some reason, I can't say anything. I didn't know if I was partially mute, or if I'm just overwhelmed by what's going on to even bring myself to say anything.

I'm confused, but... even so...

... I feel hopeful.

"Ah! Luke!" Ashley suddenly exclaims, causing the man to turn to her. "We have to get her to a hospital!"

"What!?" he exclaims. "Why!?"

"Her side! It's bleeding!"

Before I could have the chance to react, I was carried by Luke to his car, leaving Floof alone in the room. Unfortunately, she was fast asleep, so she couldn't come with us.

I just hope she doesn't trash the place.

"Stay awake, okay, sweetheart?" Ashley tells me, sitting beside me while Luke drives to the hospital. "Are you scared?"

"A... A little," I murmur, earning a snicker from her.

"It's okay. I would be scared, too, if I had a bullet wound on me," she assures, gently caressing my forehead. "Where did you get it?"

"I, um... don't remember," I lie. Actually, I do remember. I just don't want to struggle explaining it.

How am I supposed to explain that I chased an immature drug dealer around until he loses control and shoots me by accident? Does that sound normal for a kid? Of course not!

"We're here," Luke sighs, getting off the car. "Ashley, wait for the results while I park the car."

"Okay," she utters, letting the doctors take me away.

I can't really remember much after that. It makes sense since I was barely conscious when the doctors checked on me. Anyway, I had a good nap, and the next time I woke up, I was in one of the hospital beds.

"Are you okay?" Ashley whispers, gently caressing my forehead again. "Does anything hurt?" I shake my head as a no. "Do you need water?"

"... Please?" I murmur, earning a soft snicker and a glass of water from her.

As I sit up and drink contently, she tells me, "The doctors said you're okay. You just need enough rest for the next three days and you'll be discharged and free to do as you please."

"Sorry," I mutter.

"Awh, it's okay," she giggles, taking the cup once I'm done. "You know, we don't really have to pay much. Luke works with the government, while I'm a nurse in the North American branch of--..." She trails off, unsure how to continue her statement. "Hm, do you know the Ratri clan?"

I nod my head. "One of their members was the one who shot me," I answer, earning a shriek from Ashley. Instantly, I wave my hands in defense. "Ah, but they're not evil! He didn't mean to hurt me. Please don't get mad!"

Luke sighs and runs a hand through his snow-white hair, uttering, "I have no idea how on Earth you managed to survive that, but I'm glad you're okay."

"Do you have a family to go to, sweetheart?" Ashley asks me, tucking her soft golden blonde hair behind her ear. I shake my head as a no. "Is it okay if we become your family? We promise we'll take really good care of you."

"You... want that?" I ask her, and she nods happily.

"Absolutely!"

I lower my head, staring at my intertwined fingers in thought. I don't really know them that well yet, but... for some reason, their company feels genuinely warm. It feels... different, from what I feel when I'm with Ray and the others. "Sistine."

"What?" Ashley blurts out.

"Sistine," I mutter again, lifting my eyes to meet her gaze. "That's... my name."

"Ah, like the chapel!" Luke exclaims, and I give him a happy nod. "That's such a beautiful name... How old are you?"

"I'm thirteen."

"Thirteen!?" He reacts, eyes widening in surprise.

I hum in response and shyly scratch the numbers on my neck, lowering my head. "I'm... short."

"Ah, don't worry about it," Ashley says, smacking Luke on the shoulder. "I'm sure you're just a late bloomer. No biggie!" She glances at the clock. "Oh, dear! It's getting late! Sistine, you should go rest now. We'll come back tomorrow, is that okay?"

I nod my head to assure them, smiling as they wave goodbye and exit the room, their voices slowly fading.

"Isn't she a blessing?" I hear Ashley say.

"It's like God gave us an adorable little angel for a child," Luke laughs. "And to think the random appearances of children would end up answering our prayers...!"

"You know what makes me happier, though?"

"What?"

"...

"She looks just like you."