Chapter 44: Without A Plan

Sistine's POV:

His response never returned.

I specifically told him to send me back a message as soon as he could, but to this day, not a single response has been sent. Emma and Ray have left for the seven walls, Norman's army has already left for the capital to prepare for his plan, and Ayshe isn't around because Norman set her on a mission with Don and Gilda!

Dang it! He really wants me to push my limit, does he?

Screw it. I'm heading alone.

After observing my surroundings for two years, I managed to memorize this place as if it were my own. I also know where the human horses are kept.

Though, based on the fact that I got caught by an entity, that might just be unnecessary.

I find the horse's cold eyes staring at me, watching as if I weren't prey, but a person one is looking for. Carefully, I walk over to the horse, reaching out to pet it. If this truly is an entity he's most likely to--!

The horse's mouth snaps open, trying to bite me but I moved my hand away. "Easy there, buddy," I coo, gently petting its head. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

He seems to calm down fast since he sweetly nuzzles my hand in response. A smile forms on my lips as I slowly move to the horse's side. There I find a saddle with a bag on it. It's tamed...

Curiosity taking over, I open the bag and find a bunch of necessities that could last for about a week, as well as a note. "'Sorry I can't get to you. The Tifari's keeping me from going anywhere else. But don't worry. That boy is going to bring you there safe and sound. Good luck' -Genesis."

Riding the horse, I rush over to the capital, going as fast as I possibly can. The horse seems to know what he's doing since he's using the shortest and safest possible routes to take me there.

It's going to take three days... And the Tifari is two and a half days away... if only I were able to witness it at least once... without the commotion and the risks of death.

"Wh-- SISTINE!?"

I flinch at the sound of my name, turning around to see Emma and her group riding their own horses to the capital. Immediately, I tap my horse and ask him if he could go faster, to which he responds accordingly.

"WAIT! SISTINE!"

"I'm going to stop Norman!" I yell back, and my body freezes upon hearing her reply.

"WE'RE LEAVING FOR THE SAME REASON!"

Both me and my horse freeze in shock. I slowly turn to her as they catch up to me. "You're... What?"

"We're not letting him kill the demons," Emma replies, zooming past me. "Come on! We gotta go!"

Nodding my head, I follow her route, with Ray just beside me. Although it was supposed to be a serious moment, I catch a glimpse of him watching me from my peripheral vision.

"Is that a demon?" He asks me.

"Maybe, maybe not," I answer bluntly, turning red in embarrassment.

"Where'd you get it?"

"From a... Friend."

"Mhmm, 'friend'. Are you sure it's not a boyfriend?"

"RAY!!!" The rest of the crew try their best not to laugh at me, knowing just as well as I do that it's supposed to be a serious moment.

Well, I guess that's one way of easing our minds... After all, we can't just march into a strategy battle without our brains...

... I think the biggest problem is the fact that Norman is the smartest out of all of us. He's got a brain equal to James Ratri's, perhaps even better than that. How am I supposed to battle against that?

I'm only a kid with a gun, for Dozza's sake!  What am I supposed to do!? Run a bullet through his head!?

Though that might work... Nevermind, he's too fast for that. Besides, he'll probably expect that. He knows what type of person I am. I'm sure he's expecting me to come over and ruin something...

... Or maybe he'll just forget me. I hope it's that. Though it seems highly unlikely because I made him my friend...

... I feel stupid for ever trusting that genius.

"Are you okay, Sistine?" Ray asks me. "Do you need to catch a breath?"

"I'm okay," I answer, giving him a reassuring smile. "I was just thinking..."

"... We'll make it," he tells me, reaching out to pet my head.

Except my horse tries to bite Ray while running.

"Woah! Be nice!" I react, immediately hugging the horse to calm him down. "He's a friend."

"Does that thing even understand you?" Ray questions, pulling his hand back.

"I don't know, either. But he's a good boy. Don't worry."

"FINALLY, you two are talking!" Emma reacts, making both of us turn to her. "Seriously, you have no idea how long I've been waiting!"

"Emma, what's your plan?" I ask her, changing the topic to avoid any other misunderstandings. "How do we stop Norman?"

"I don't have a plan."

"WHAT!?"

"We don't really have much time," She explains to me. "I can't think of how we're gonna make this work, but we will! We just have to believe!"

"You're crazy," I comment, to which the ginger-haired girl lets out a giggle.

"I know."

"I can see why you like her now, Ray," I add, turning to give the flustered Ray a smirk. "You have great taste in girls, do you know that?"

"Shut up..." He groans. "Who the hell told you that?"

"You and your tomato face," I giggle. Emma laughs with me, while the others hoot suggestively at Ray.

"I'm so gonna kill you."

"Go ahead. You have a gun." I stretch my arms out, exclaiming, "Shoot me!"

"DON'T LET GO OF YOUR HORSE OR YOU'RE GONNA FALL, DANG IT!"

Emma bursts into fits of laughter, and I hug my horse again, muttering, "Coward."

Ray brings out his loaded gun and points it at me. "Sorry, I couldn't hear you. what did you just freaking say?"

"I said you're a COWARD--!"

He fires the gun, making everyone scream in surprise. My eyes widening, I turn to my left and find a wild entity on the floor, bleeding. I turn to him with the same widened eyes. "I scared ya, didn't I?" Ray asks, smirking amusedly.

"Jerk," was my only response as I turned away from him and let the horse carry the rest of my weight, hugging it as he proceeds running to the capital.

Right now, we're heading to battle without a plan, but honestly, it doesn't feel like it. We're unnaturally calm right now...

... But we're gonna need calm, well-rested, concentrated minds if we're going against Grace Field's prodigy.