Chapter 50: Never Mine

Sistine's POV:

"You betrayed me, Isabella!" Peter Ratri screams as he stares at the crowd of women surrounding him with guns in their hands.

Mama's calm composure contrasts the look on the man's face. "Yes. Isn't it obvious?" She asks, unamused by his exclamation. Peter Ratri lets out a flat "what" at her blunt statement; even I couldn't help but let out a snort.

"These children and I..." Mama continues, "... And all the staff are your enemy."

Don and Gilda turn to each other in confusion, wondering why Mama's on their side. Meanwhile, I remain in the shadows, my gun still pointed at the drug dealer. My eyes focus on him as he squirms and growls like a feral beast, desperate to find an escape.

"Don't get me wrong," Mama said, turning to Emma. "It just happened that we share the same interests. I was getting fed up with my life here. And I didn't like the future that boy described."

"That boy!?" Vincent and Hayato exclaim, flinching and causing me to let out another snort.

"Or his methods and opinions," Mama adds, ignoring the exclamations of the others. Even when Peter Ratri looks extremely constipated, glaring at Mama and yelling an enraged "How dare you", she ignores him.

I don't blame her. He deserves it. He's too immature to be worth anyone's time.

But hey, not that I'm one to talk.

"That's why I wanted to crush... everything. I thought I'd destroy everything."

As if Emma saw something within Mama, like the child she used to be or the fact that she's human, she fights alongside her. She cocks her gun, smiles, and aims at Mr. Ratri. "Thanks, Mama!" she exclaims, her smile going back to the way it was before she knew the Secret.

The sounds of loading guns echo throughout the halls. Everyone has their eyes and their guns focused on Peter Ratri. "How dare you," he growls, "all of you... Don't think you can get away with opposing me!!"

His eyes dart across the room, searching for a way out. Left, right, left, right; his eyes continue to search. Not long, he, too, gets fed up. His hand snatches one of the women's guns, and Oliver yells for everyone to get down. Mr. Ratri recklessly shoots everywhere, even shooting my side. The impact causes me to hit the wall, but it's not anything severe.

The drug dealer runs away. Everybody dashes after him, scattering in different areas to corner him somehow. They don't know how, but they should. Even Mama was about to leave. I put on the jacket I saved for emergencies like this, zipping it up to avoid suspicion. "Mama, I'm gonna go too," I blurt out excitedly, trying desperately to keep my breath steady as I chase after him.

In all honesty, if I could, I really would have just stayed. But I've been waiting for this moment. There's no way I'm stopping just because of a stupid bullet wound.

After all, I could always die later. Or get a medic. I think the latter's more rational. But the former's cool too. Probably better. Or worse. Who knows?

After minutes of running, I find him. He seems to have been calling for help earlier on his phone. But based on the look on his face, I suppose it was unsuccessful.

"Didn't your parents teach you not to play with your phone during emergencies, Mr. Ratri?" I ask, causing him to stop on his tracks. I really expected him to run away and wait for me to chase him until I die, but I suppose he's choosing the risky path.

"You're bleeding," the man replies, flashing me an amused smirk. "You know, you'll die if you stay here for much longer."

"And what are you gonna do? Stab me?" I joke, leaning on the wall for support. He flinches at my question, turning to his sleeve. "Your knife isn't very well hidden. But hey, don't worry about it."