Chapter 37: One Last Promise

Sistine's POV:

"Aren't you kids up a bit too early?"

I turn to the towering figure at the bedroom door, letting out a sheepish laugh. "Sorry, Papa," I wearily reply. "Genesis and I couldn't sleep so we pulled an all-nighter."

Papa turns to the ravenette beside me, who merely snickers in response. He exhales in exasperation, saying, "You really need to stop influencing him, Sistine."

"Soooorry," I sing, letting out short giggles.

Once Papa leaves the room, Genesis and I glance at each other and sigh in relief, lying on my bed.

After the Lambda explosion, I quickly ran into the building to rescue the equipped Minerva supporters. It didn't take long before I found them, though. As soon as they were all united, I ran straight out of the building to go home.

Thank goodness we got back in time...

The sudden reopening of the door sends panic through our veins as we sit up. "Also, Sistine?" Papa calls.

"Y-yeah?" I stutter back.

He walks over to me and bends to my level, saying, "The elder Lord Bayon invited me to come to Goldy Pond, so I have to leave you here. I hope that's alright with you and Genesis."

I nod in response. "Okay..."

"Grandpa's asking you to hunt in that human playground again?" Genesis asks, his face distorted with disgust.

Papa lowers his head and wheezes, "Apparently so..."

"You don't like that place?" I ask, my head cocking to the side.

"No! No, I do... I just... It's been so long since humans fought back for survival. The game's been quite boring with those wimpy kids running around..."

"Can I come with?" I ask, my eyes sparkling in curiosity.

Immediately, the two entities look at me in shock, yelling in unison, "Absolutely not!"

"Why nooooot?" I whine, pouting like a baby.

"Sistine, that's a hunting ground for humans!" Genesis shrieks. "What are you, a sadist!?"

My pout grows even more dramatic as I softly mutter, "I just wanted to see what it looks like..."

"It's a bloody carnival," Papa answers. "Trust me. You don't want to see it. Honestly, it's best if you don't go at all. One of our subjects might mistake you for one of the prey and pounce at you."

"Fiiiiine..." I groan, resting my face on his chest. "Just promise me that you'll tell me all about it when you come back, okay?" I request, my voice muffled by his cloak.

He moves away and pets my head, softly whispering, "I promise."

After tucking the both of us in, he pets Genesis' head, bidding him goodnight. "G'night, Lew-chan... Love you..." Genesis yawns, falling asleep almost immediately.

I could have sworn I heard Papa chuckle a little to himself and mutter, "I love you too, kid." I look up at him in confusion and concern, worried by the tone of his voice. I feel like something's wrong, but I can't really ask. Surely, he wouldn't answer...

Papa takes off his mask and kisses my forehead, saying, "You two take care of each other, okay?" He requests. I nod and hum in response, and he gives me a warm smile.

Putting his mask back on, he exits the room, leaving Genesis and me to sleep with a peaceful silence.

Leuvis' POV:

"Your highness, are you sure about this decision?" A subject of mine asks, concern lining his tone. "With the sudden outbreak of Grace Field, the destruction of Lambda, and the sudden report of a human revolution, are you sure going there is safe?"

"You know he's the father of Lord Bayon II," I reply. "He's older than me, for sure, but it's still a manner of respect to accept such an invitation."

"But what about your daughter, sire?"

I fall silent at the mere mention of her, finishing my letter and sealing it into an envelope. I can't answer. I don't know what I should answer. Hell, would I even be able to make it?

"Sire...?"

"... She's a brave girl," I answer, my voice shaking ever so slightly. "She can handle herself. She has Genesis, she has the regents, she has the entire kingdom. She'll be fine. I'm sure of it. Just..."

I trail off, trying my best not to cry. The thought of my chances of disappearing... It was so difficult to comprehend. I know I'm only going to a game, but...

It's been a long time since those Grace Field children escaped. I'm certain that those kids are bound to come across Goldy Pond soon. They have the abilities of a killer; that I am aware of. This is supposed to be fun for me. I get to play that game the same, fun way I did all those years ago! And yet...

... Why do I feel so afraid?

Why am I so afraid of dying?

Is it because I have a kingdom to run? Is it because I have secrets I haven't told yet? Or is it...

... No.

It's not because of any of those.

It's because I'm afraid of what would happen to her.

Sistine is at high risk of being killed by my sister. I know that. But what if Legravalima actually does hurt her? I wouldn't be there to save her anymore. Who will?

No. Leuvis, stop thinking of such foolish things. You're going to live. It's just a game filled with weak, pathetic children. Nothing is going to harm you. Don't be foolish.

Grace Field isn't going to be enough to kill you. You have a mask that is difficult to break, and abilities far beyond children. You won't lose.

Everything that's happening in Grace Field and Lambda might be Sistine's doing, but even so, you have to come back and show her that her plan failed.

You're going to survive. You're going to come back and tell her about your experience, remember? You're going to live. You have to live.

You made a promise. You have to keep it.

Standing up from my seat, I open a book and place the letter in there. I finish up packing and hand the book to my subject, saying, "I have no certainties of whether I'll be back or not. But if anything happens, and you get news of my disappearance or potential death...

"Make sure to give this to Sistine."